Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Respray

Member Array
    Car:
    BCNR33
    You can get a professional paint job in the backyard. it's not hard. you just need to take your time.

- Use 2pack paint if possible. the quality and durability is far superior than acrylic. despite what many say, 2 pack paint is no more harder to spray than acrylic nor is it any less forgiving with paint errors.

** if you get sags or runs in your clear, just wait until it fully cures and block sand them out with 1500 grit, then 2000, after buff. same procedure with fine dust or bugs.

** use a tack rag to catch dust and over spray between coats

- Buy a decent spray gun. 1.4mm tip for base/clear. 1.8mm for 2k primer. buy gun regulator and set to 35-40 psi.

** difference between low end and high end gun is bigger spray pattern, durability and spray quality straight off the gun.

- You can get away with a small compressor for backyard jobs. you can get the job done with a super cheap auto 2.5 HP 40 LITRE TANK. all you need to do is split the job into 2 or 3 parts. for eg. spray bonnet, fenders, bumpers today. tomorrow paint doors and trunk. then day after paint rest of body.

** just make sure it's the same batch of paint, same mixing ratio and similar temperature when spraying. or else the shade of colour may be different.

** Frequently drain the water out of compressor. use a water/oil filter, best spot to mount is 7-10 metres at the end of air hose.

- Base coat mixing ratio is always 50:50 or 1:1. for eg. if you have 1 litre of base, then you mix 1 litre of 2k thinner which then makes 2 litres of sprayable paint.

** Clear coat may vary. but usually 2:1 ratio. add 10 - 20% 2k thinner.

** Don't forget to use a paint strainer.

-When spraying 2pack, make sure you wear a respirator. NOT A PAPER DUST MASK!!! very toxic paint. use brand such as Sundstrom or 3M. make sure you don't have people around or any neighbours.

** check with your local council if spraying 2 pack polyurethane paint is allowed.
    Daily: '06 Honda Civic Vti | Weekend: '97 Nissan Skyline GTR BCNR33

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    poison in urethane paint can be absorbed through skin
    and it will pass through your 3m half mask cartridge filters

need to have full face mask with positive air pressure, feeding oxygen to your full face.

was told by blackwoods salesman in vic. 3m mask distributor.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

inb4cancer

Member Array
    Car:
    BCNR33
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    poison in urethane paint can be absorbed through skin
    and it will pass through your 3m half mask cartridge filters

need to have full face mask with positive air pressure, feeding oxygen to your full face.

was told by blackwoods salesman in vic. 3m mask distributor.
    who said anything about a half mask? you should be wearing a full mask with A2 organic vapor cartridges with a compulsary particulate filter and a pre filter. limit your work to minutes not hours. and spray in a well ventilated area. if you have access to air supply respiratory system then by all means use it.

Panel beating shops in Australia use Sundstrom half mask when painting. so go figure. spray painting in general isn't healthy.

-Isocyanates and Filtering devices
    www.srsafety.com/upl/files/5995.pdf

Sundstrom Website
    Last edited by 6-SpeedManual; 21-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Daily: '06 Honda Civic Vti | Weekend: '97 Nissan Skyline GTR BCNR33

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    good info here guise
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 si
    Hey buddy I'm a spraypainter by trade and I do professional respays after hours all work gets done at my house than The car gets taking to a booth to get painted pm me If interested I change half the price a smash shop would =)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2K AP1
    It would be good if you were in Melbourne though. Anyone elso.......

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2K AP1
    Hi Charlie Brown. Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by Eg58yu View Post
    Hey buddy I'm a spraypainter by trade and I do professional respays after hours all work gets done at my house than The car gets taking to a booth to get painted pm me If interested I change half the price a smash shop would =)
    Mate can u clear your inbox. Im trying to send you a PM about the respray.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by Eg58yu View Post
    Any pics of your work bud?
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by 6-SpeedManual View Post
    who said anything about a half mask? you should be wearing a full mask with A2 organic vapor cartridges with a compulsary particulate filter and a pre filter. limit your work to minutes not hours. and spray in a well ventilated area. if you have access to air supply respiratory system then by all means use it.

Panel beating shops in Australia use Sundstrom half mask when painting. so go figure. spray painting in general isn't healthy.

-Isocyanates and Filtering devices
    www.srsafety.com/upl/files/5995.pdf

Sundstrom Website
    Suggesting that people use 2PAK at home is your first mistake.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg civic
    Hey guys, I decided to respray my car. I've already sanded it down and removed the clear coat. used filler on some deep scratches and dings.

The thing is I used Etch primer (didnt read the can properly) will this be fine to spray over? or will I need to sand it back down and use the correct primer?

or can I just lightly sand using 800g?? wet/dry then paint over?