Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    '99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX

15 year import rule dead (possible OFN)

Bummer - no more '90-'91 EF8 and EF9s - and there were only a tiny number of them built in '89 as the official release date was '90.

On the plus side - I want to look into the idea that post '90 cars can be SEV'd although the EFs don't have behind bumper reinforcing or intrusion bars - let alone the generic changes for compliancing.

From J-spec:

After many months of speculation, the Minister for Local Government, Territories and Roads, Jim Lloyd has finally announced via media release the discontinuation of the 15 year old rule in it's current guise as of today, February 7th, 2005.

As of this date only vehicles manufactured before January 1st, 1989 will be eligible for import without restriction, vehicles newer will be subject to SEVS eligibility and will need to be complied by a Registered Automotive Workshop. Exemption has been given to anyone who has made a financial commitment prior to today... this means anyone who has purchased a vehicle already but has not yet brought it into the country can still import it under the now old 15 year old guidelines. The evidence necessary will be prove that you have purchased a car before today will most likely be a copy of the transfer of funds for a specific vehicle.

The reasons for this change, according to the media release, is that the importation of 15 year old vehicles is not in line with current government policy regarding the continuous improvement of safety and emissions of vehicles in the Australian fleet, and that the scheme which was intended as a means of enthusiasts to import older, unusual vehicles is currently being used as a 'loophole' to import cars which don't meet this criteria.

The media release also makes mention of the the rule being extended to a 30 year old rule after this current 'buffer period' expires, however the specific workings of this and its implementation are not discussed.

There are some 15 year old vehicles currently still in Japan for which J-Spec Imports' agents have Australian import approval for, and as such can still be imported even after today. We will indicate which of these vehicles on our mailing list can still be purchased and imported shortly.

J-Spec Imports will NOT increase prices on any vehicles we have control over to capitalize on any panic which may ensue as a result of this change, we do however expect vehicles to sell quickly as they are the last and only chance to import certain models manufactured after Jan 1st, 1989.

For anyone who wishes to read the full media release it can be found here:
    http://www.j-spec.com.au/MediaRelease.pdf

And an FAQ on the changes to these laws:
    http://www.j-spec.com.au/FAQ.pdf
    Last edited by wynode; 26-02-2005 at 10:23 PM.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    ahahaha, um, that's only a gazette... mate bought a Mitsi GTO today... law has not yet changed..... end of march....

Member Array
    Car:
    BAR Honda F1
    Yeah, can someone confirm if this new law is indeed in effect? Cos Jspec is still selling cars that are 1989 & above

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by zigengt
    Yeah, can someone confirm if this new law is indeed in effect? Cos Jspec is still selling cars that are 1989 & above
    NO IT ISN'T IN EFFECT!!!!

I'm pretty sure I made it clear above dude...

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Yep - but you'll notice that j-spec's bulletins are leaning towards '89s now. Currently, if you have the transaction in progress (eg waiting for the car to arrive) up to the cutoff date then it will be ok.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

ive heard about this change, sounds good
    WDM. World Domestic Market.

Subaru y0!

sounds good??
    i was aiming at an rx7 fd in a couple of years!
    looks like ill have to look at the ones already here.....

I guess it okay for ppl selling their cars...

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Luxury
    why not just save a lil longer and get a series 8 cause from what i hear they will be easier to get over here under the new laws.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    for the dumbies like my self, this means that no cars unless 15 years and older will be allowed for import?

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    No. It means that 1989 and newer cars must be imported under the SEVS scheme, which basically means the car must be completely stock, and it it cant have been sold in Australia through dealerships (i.e. No Honda Civics, Toyota Celsiors (Lexus LS400s), no mercs, NSX etc).

I wouldnt complain so much except that the SEVS scheme is failing (depending on which side you are on). Even if the car wasnt sold here, a workshop must spend tens of thousands of dollars to get the 'right' to comply and register that type of car. Today, over a year since they introduced the scheme, only a handful of types of cars have had this 'right' granted - Skylines (of course), Soarers, Delica (wtf??), and a couple of others. And because it has to be completely stock when it is complied, you will never get a VIP car or worked turbo over here.

Basically, if we want an interesting car from Japan, we are SOL... With the passing of this rule, It must be 88 or older (not much choice there), OR a stock standard Skyline, Soarer or Delica.

Yippee.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    dont u gusy reckon the elimination of this rule will encourage Honda/Toyota/etc in Australia to bring in their new models tho?

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 VTIS
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    dont u gusy reckon the elimination of this rule will encourage Honda/Toyota/etc in Australia to bring in their new models tho?

hell no...they havent in the past and they wont now...