Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HRV replacement motor

Greeting's all, very interested to hear of any thoughts regarding a replacement engine for my 2000 3dr HRV. The original I believe is a D16w1 and needs to be retired. I am looking for a more powerful engine and was wondering what I'm going to be limited to and cost involved.

Cheers

Jase C.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Not worth it Jase, Id imagine nobody has done any sort of conversion and cost just wouldn't be worth it, I had a 99 HRV and replaced the first motor after 180,000km (yes I drove it like I stole it), paid $1100 for a low km motor to be fitted. Just be happy with it or move it on.

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    Jase is asking if he will be limited to issues maybe and what costs involved.

If your planning to keep the car and use it as a daily - then yes it is well worth the effort to change the motor.

Since the HRV are 1.6L SOHC with 4WD tranny D16W1 as you say, then i would suggest to upgrade to a D16Y4 or rather and reuse your 4WD CVT tranny.

OTHERWISE if you want more of a kick - then put in a B16A and use a FWD tranny.

This means you will loose your CVT (which is POS anyways) and 4WD - as the B16A's never came out with a 4WD tranny.

Definately more power compaired to your D16W1

Full sleeper mode ftw!
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez

Yeah, I thought it might be a little ambitious but I love the little thing!!! It's only got a 150,000 and looks new despite it being driven like it's the bosses car. As XB-16-AX very kindly mentions the ability to install a D16Y4 and to reuse the original 4WD tranny, I think I might venture down this this path. Or maybe I get the rings replaced and put a blower on it. Decisions, decisions... Hey Stevil I was also wondering who your engineer was? I see your in Pyrmont and I've just moved to Annandale. Anyway a massive thanks to Stevil and XB-16-AX for there words of wisdom. Much appreciated and cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    Keep us updated.,

maybe you should write up a build thread once you have decided on which path to take.
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Keep in mind the clutch and rear diff in these things are lightwieght Items and may not handle much of a power boost. I completely destroyed both in my HRV. My rear diff thing blew up in the wet whilst in 3rd gear and wasn't being abused. As you know the rear diff piece of shit thing only engage when the front wheels seriously slip. The shaft sheared itself off !

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010
    I got a HRV and they are great daily cars.

I have found these.

Quoted from Wiki.

D16W4VTEC
    Found in:
    1998–2001 Honda Civic Aerodeck MC1 1.6i VTEC/ES
    Displacement:1,590 cc (97 cu in)
    Bore and Stroke : 75 × 90 mm (3.0 × 3.5 in)
    Power : 126 hp (93 kW)
    Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
    [edit] D16W5VTEC-E
    Found in:
    2000–2006 Honda HRV
    Displacement:1,590 cc (97 cu in)
    Bore and Stroke : 75 × 90 mm (3.0 × 3.5 in)
    Power : 122 hp (91 kW)
    Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)

woule be a good ides if these engines are available and compatible in.
    Now, i will be a honda owner once again..

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic SIR B1
    yea buddy, the hrv has the same gearbox/diff as a crv, the only difference is the crv box is designed for a b series engine, if you wanna put in a b series, just get the crv 4wd box and it will fit straight in,

and if anyone tells you that your hrv can't handle the power, i suggest you look at mine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65GjOwvSGo cause i'm running 200kw out of a factory 78kw engine, with 20's and double the torque. and it takes it well. i'm selling it as well on ebay.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010
    How much power gain would be by installing afc, like apexi afc1? Guess not much of gain but certainly easier and cleaner then installing turbo or conversion

Member Array
    Car:
    yokomo MR4TC-BD
    Quote Originally Posted by happymatch View Post
    How much power gain would be by installing afc, like apexi afc1? Guess not much of gain but certainly easier and cleaner then installing turbo or conversion
    Dont use the AFC use the APFC as you can tune the ecu better than the AFC is limited to just fuel controll.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Emnesty View Post
    Dont use the AFC use the APFC as you can tune the ecu better than the AFC is limited to just fuel controll.
    What's apfc?

Member Array
    Car:
    yokomo MR4TC-BD
    Quote Originally Posted by happymatch View Post
    What's apfc?
    APFC = Apexi PowerFC its a full EMS