Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    boss project man, my mate used to have one as a daily. rocked it heaps lol.

if i was you, id forget that go fast rubbish and build it like this old lude:

clean styling, nice wheels and nice height. OG cruiser all the way
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by egSi View Post
    boss project man, my mate used to have one as a daily. rocked it heaps lol.

if i was you, id forget that go fast rubbish and build it like this old lude:

clean styling, nice wheels and nice height. OG cruiser all the way
    Yeah, its goes fast enough for me already (I can get 0-80km in about 8-9secs, 7 if I get it off the line good. I don't need it to go any faster than 120-130km as top speed. I know it'll do 180km/h though (I haven't gone that fast, that was my Dad, he used to be a rally driver).

I've been thinking about what I want to do, and pretty plans are just fix up the paint, replace pretty much all the suspension (380,000km on Tassie roads doesn't do much good for the suspension), possibly lower it just a little bit, maybe a new exhaust with headers, but not until that rear muffler starts rusting or the cops complain about the middle section of pipe, and the noise it makes.

New rims are a possibility, as long as I could decent 14", or possibly go 15" or 16" as long as I could get the right profile tyres to prevent my speedo being out or anything.

And I reckon sometime down the track the gearbox is gonna need an overhaul, I think the syncro is going on a few gears.

I hate the fact that Honda gave these things a final drive of 4.25, means it revs at 2,500 at 80km/h, and almost 3,500rpm at 110km/h. Whereas my Falcon ute, bought to keep me on the raod when I start replacing suspension parts or painting the bonnet or boot or doors, and can't drive, has a final drive or 2.77, meaning in top gear (3rd, its a 3sp column manual) at 80km/h, it only does 1,800rpm, and about 2,100rpm at 110km/h.
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Took the red badges off the other day, and the old ones back on

Paying for another alternator tomorrow, meaning the car will be back to its reliability again when it arrives.

Then intentions are to fix the f**king paint, I'm sick of having to look at it like it is. Undoubtly car will be off the road for some of the painting process (I can't exactly go driving around with no bonnet, or no tailgate, or minus a door or guard, so beginning of this year I bought myself another car, not a Honda as I couldn't find any decent ones down here for under $1,000. I did see another Concerto for $1,300, but it needed a new windscreen, and had over half a million kms on it (558,000 from memory). Still fully original. But it was an auto.
    I hate autos, I'd much rather drive a manual and be able to chose my own gears. The few times I've driven an auto, I've looked for the clutch pedal, and I constantly get fed up with auto gearboxes not choosing gears very well, and searching. So I picked up a Falcon ute, for only $600 and here are my two cars side by side.

Both are from March 1989, by strange coincidence.

And the Falcon is part Honda, Honda helped Ford to develop the "Alloy Head", which is the unleaded type head used on Falcon sixes to this day.
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    My new alternator is now on the way, good thing too because today my battery went so flat whilst I was on the way home from school that I couldn't use my brakes or the brake lights would cause the car to stall, and I also couldn't indicate. Had to happen whilst I was driving through peak hour traffic...

Plus I nearly overheated the car, it turns out that the priority system in the car which shuts down electrics when the battery is going flat (starting with radio, etc etc), shuts down the cooling fans very early on... Meaning the car was getting quite warm, but the battery couldn't even power the fuel or temperature gauge...

Hopefully the new alternator arrives nice and soon next week, then I can put it on and get back to fixing the paint (slowly.)
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Polished my guard up today, it all looks good now Next is the other guard, then the bonnet.

A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    So I got the new alternator today...

Spot the difference... (and the problem)
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    guard looks good.

the plug attachment is different... can that part be swapped over?

worst case you will need to change the concerto plug on the harness to the ED civic plug. Pretty sure I have the plug should you need it

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    guard looks good.

the plug attachment is different... can that part be swapped over?

worst case you will need to change the concerto plug on the harness to the ED civic plug. Pretty sure I have the plug should you need it
    Thanks, hopefully the whole car will be that good eventually.

Yeah, the plug can be swapped over, I'll do it today at school. I cannot understand why Honda made the plug different, the Concerto one only has three wires going to the plug anyway, so why give it four contacts?
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    88 CRX B16a
    Was was the new alternator from?

I got a ED9 CRX thats obd0 and if i remember correctly different obd's has different power connectors for the alternators.
    So im guessing that 4 pin Alternator is from a obd1 car

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    both alts were obd0. one from concerto, other from ED civic

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    The four pin alternator is the one from the Concerto, the 3 pin is from the ED Civic.

According to my workshop manual, the carb Concerto's had a three pin one. Why the PGM-FI ones have a four pin is beyond me, the fourth pin doesn't even have a wire??
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Help?

I got the new alt wired in, but now the car is going through a 10A fuse every time I start?

Its the No.14 fuse blowing, labelled Alternator Solenoid Valve. I don't even know what an alternator solenoid valve does...
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread