Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Still no working alternator...... >

on the bright side, I have found for sale an entire, working, Concerto engine for only $250!! (wish it had of been around when I actually needed one).
    Gonna buy it just a spare, not passing it up for that price.
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Finally fixed my alternator problems, got a Concerto one for $50, and checked out the engine I'm going to be getting. Bit tired, and looks like it has an oil leak somewhere, but starts and runs with no apparent problems. Soon as tax time rolls around and I register my ute, I'll be going and picking it up.
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    So not much has happened... at all.
    The bloke I was going to be getting the engine off has vanished of the face of the earth, so there goes that.
    Haven't had the time or money to do any of the paint on the other panels.

Only got around 10,000km until it's due for a 100,000km (in this case 400,000km) service. I plan to pull the car off the road for as long as necessary to make sure I do this service decently, I'm planning a new water pump, timing belt, new sump gasket, possibly extractors seeing as the current manifold id getting full of holes... New O2 sensor, possibly a new rear main seal, all the filters, standard service things, check the valve clearances. As well as a front suspension rebuild, gotta buy one of these pretty soon
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330439246...84.m1438.l2649

Anything else I should do whilst I have the car off the road, or that should be done in a 100,000km service?
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    With that kit you will need to reuse ur original lower ball joint bolt, reuse your camber arm support plates, and the LHS tie rod has a grease nipple so you will need a grease gun. The sway bar bushes are Abit tight so you might have to trim Abit of it. Other than that it all fits ok. I recommend you replace your rack boots while your at it. Also there's a lock nut washer on the rack end, you can reuse yours but I would recommend new ones, they aren't expensive from Honda.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

If you have access to a press then you should change out your front lca bushes as well.
    Last edited by grifty; 16-08-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Wouldn't have even thought of the rack boots...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Con...item43ad91c6f5
    These look right to me.

I should give it a Power Steering Fluid change as well whilst I'm doing all this, when I go in to buy the fluid from Honda I'll find out about the lock nut washer.
    Got a grease gun, and also have access to a press so I may as well do the LCA bushes too.
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerto_Polson View Post
    Wouldn't have even thought of the rack boots...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Con...item43ad91c6f5
    These look right to me.

I should give it a Power Steering Fluid change as well whilst I'm doing all this, when I go in to buy the fluid from Honda I'll find out about the lock nut washer.
    Got a grease gun, and also have access to a press so I may as well do the LCA bushes too.
    I'm not sure if they are 100% the right ones since the Concerto ones have an outlet on the side for a small hose on both of them. You can get them from the dealership for about $20 each.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    I'm not sure if they are 100% the right ones since the Concerto ones have an outlet on the side for a small hose on both of them. You can get them from the dealership for about $20 each.
    I always forget to consider the dealership, my whole general impression of getting Honda genuine parts is that they will cost a fortune...

finally seem to have fixed my continuing alternator issues, bought a new voltage regulator, that sorta fixed the car, but it would still put out more than 14.8 volts...
    went and spoke to my local mechanic, and after explaining what had been happening he suggested it may be the diode/rectifier pack, so I replaced that with one from one of my spare alternators, and now all is running fine.

Oh, also finally OFF MY P PLATES!! Been a long year, but it is great to drive and not have to stay at 80km/h, or worry about prejudice from other drivers.
    A P - Platers Concerto
    Click for thread

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    I always forget to consider the dealership, my whole general impression of getting Honda genuine parts is that they will cost a fortune...
    Not always but most of the time. The wreckers are you're best friend. Cultivate a friendship there and they will look after you. Always check prices for parts before buying (this Forum is a good starting point). Sorry to see Honda parts in Tasmania are so expensive though.

Also might I suggest using this Forum's Buy & Sell sections because sometimes there are bargains. Oh, and don't discount eBay either. Some good stuff pops up on there. Lately, wheels seem to be going really cheap, like just over $100 for a set of 17" alloys.

... finally seem to have fixed my continuing alternator issues, bought a new voltage regulator, that sorta fixed the car, but it would still put out more than 14.8 volts...went and spoke to my local mechanic, and after explaining what had been happening he suggested it may be the diode/rectifier pack, so I replaced that with one from one of my spare alternators, and now all is running fine.
    Well done. It is very satisfying to find faults and fix your own car. Good on you for getting your hands dirty and learning more about how your car "works". This makes problem-solving in the future much easier.

Oh, also finally OFF MY P PLATES!!
    Congratulations and drive safely.

Keep the info and photos coming. Always love to read DIY stuff on the older Hondas.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 12-09-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto

finally seem to have fixed my continuing alternator issues, bought a new voltage regulator, that sorta fixed the car, but it would still put out more than 14.8 volts...
    went and spoke to my local mechanic, and after explaining what had been happening he suggested it may be the diode/rectifier pack, so I replaced that with one from one of my spare alternators, and now all is running fine.

Oh, also finally OFF MY P PLATES!! Been a long year, but it is great to drive and not have to stay at 80km/h, or worry about prejudice from other drivers.
    It just depends on the part really, some are reasonably priced and some are pricey. For example i got quoted $770 for the front bar haha, but i got pedal rubbers for $7 each. It also helps when you know the person and you get lower than trade prices
    OEM parts whore