Unhappy Having brake sound but not because of pads...

HI guys
    as the title,
    I have a honda civic 09 40ann auto
    I found out there is brake noise (metal on metal)came and its coming from the front passenger side.i apply the brakes but there is no noise until just before coming to a complete stop, and the noise stoped when the car stops.
    also the thing is the noise will normally comes out when the brakes are cold. and once they warm up, at most of the time the noise will gone.
    i have checked the pads, coz all the dealers and service centres iv asked, they said it was cause by the pads.but i checked them they are still in perfect condition.
    and the discs are fine.

any one of u guys had that prob before?
    and who knows why.......thanks
    thanks....

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    It is your pads, but not because they are low or finished..

Generally when the pad is outside of its proper operating temperature a kind of "glaze" can be created on the pad and disc, a few heavy stops or getting the pads up to temp usually gets rid of the glaze and stop the squeaks.

Have you changed the pads or are they still the original factory units?
    OHSC

Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    It is your pads, but not because they are low or finished..

Generally when the pad is outside of its proper operating temperature a kind of "glaze" can be created on the pad and disc, a few heavy stops or getting the pads up to temp usually gets rid of the glaze and stop the squeaks.

Have you changed the pads or are they still the original factory units?
    yep i just checked them and clean them with the air gun, and putted them back in .....and the sound still shows up,
    so sounds like the way to get rid of the sound once for all is change them?....thx

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Yeah, an air gun wont get rid of the glaze on the pads - its generated by heat and the gasses released by the pad material.

But yes, change it to something like Ferodo Thermoquiet if you want zero noise - although you will have less stopping power in heavy driving conditions
    OHSC

Yeah, an air gun wont get rid of the glaze on the pads - its generated by heat and the gasses released by the pad material.

But yes, change it to something like Ferodo Thermoquiet if you want zero noise - although you will have less stopping power in heavy driving conditions
    but the thing is ..that noise is not that common sound. its more like you know the taxi braking sound very sharp and like metal on metal... i think thats the reason why the dealers and service station people thinks that the pads was run out and need to change......

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Without seeing your car i can't really help you anymore, but i can 95% guarantee you that the squeal is from pad glaze - taxis have this because they are applying the brakes lightly all day....
    OHSC

Without seeing your car i can't really help you anymore, but i can 95% guarantee you that the squeal is from pad glaze - taxis have this because they are applying the brakes lightly all day....
    - -/....lol thanks anyway....hoho

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    It's super common on the FD model. Terrible sounding braking. Get some new pads and discs like I did when I bought mine. Cleared up the sound. I still get the normal glazed sound sometimes, but a good hard brake or two clears it.

stance > fenders

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    yeah common on all fds

i got some aftermarket slotted rotors and that stopped it straight away. ever since then ive never heard the squeak even on cold mornings and when pads arent up to temp yet

but yes as everyone has said, just do 2-3 hard brakes from about 50-60 and it should be fine

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    another possbility is that you have sand/small rocks stuck in there.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 civic vti

Having brake sound but not because of pads

Could the sound be coming from the back of the pads (the side not facing the rotors). This can be fixed by applying brake grease at the back of the pads.