H23a Vtec Citroen DS

Hi legends!

I've just purchased a complete front cut JDM accord with the H23a Vtec engine. I will be putting it in a '72 Citroen DS.

I have gotten my head around the ECU and tuning, I need to purchase a P28 ECU with a OBD2b to OBD1 conversion harness and get it chipped. The H23a will remain stock internally.

I will use the original DS gearbox as it has inboard disc brakes, these boxes are used in the early Lotus Esprit so they are good for 200+ hp, but I still need to figure out the best way to couple the engine and gearbox together, the DS engine spins ccw, is a front mount, N/S configuration and the gearbox sits at the front...

As I can get a stronger DS clutch and longer input shaft, if required, I think the best thing would be to machine the DS flywheel to mount on the H23a and machine a gearbox adaptor plate. This will also allow me to use the DS starter but I am unsure if it's location will suit the H23a atm as it sits on the engine side...

The other option is to adapt a H22a bellhousing to the DS gearbox and maintain the Honda flywheel and clutch. But then I have to worry about the input shaft matching the Honda clutch as well as the odd shape of the H22a belhousing.

Next is how to run the alternator, a/c compressor and the hydraulic pump (which controls the brakes, steering and suspension) as I doubt there will be enough room or any access at that end of the engine, as it's squashed in to the fire wall...

Here is a nice section cut of how the motor sits in the engine bay, note that the gearbox sits forward underneath the steering rack...

Any ideas,support or suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Harley

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    O
    m
    g!
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Great project. I'd tried to nut out an alternative engine myself. Only the Hondas have the backwards rotation unless you somehow drive off the nose of the crank.

Like you say the hardest part to figure out is the ancillaries.

If you happen to be in Melbourne, as most DSes seem to be, I'd be happy to help out or just stare in amazement.

Cheers,
    Chris

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Any update on this baby??
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars