Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    96 Integra

Front splitter for the track

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To make a front splitter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive)
    As the front of the car slows down the air without a diffuser, this is the ideal place for an inlet. A splitter is commonly used here, serving to increase the amount of downforce at the front of the car. The airstream is brought to stagnation above the splitter by an air dam, causing an area of high pressure. Below the splitter, the air is redirected away from the stagnation zone and is accelerated, causing the pressure to drop. This, combined with the high pressure over the splitter creates downforce. The larger the area of the splitter, the more downforce is generated

Required:
    Safety equipment
    - Safety glasses ( I had a face mask)
    - Gloves (aluminium is one of the fastest heating metals)
    - Proper footwear
    - Ear plugs or ear muffs ( angle grinders and drills can be quite loud)

Tools
    - Angle grinder with stand – with 2 x aluminium cutting disc
    - Jigsaw
    - Drill with wood and metal drill bits
    - Dremel with metal cutting disc
    - Socket set 10mm - 14mm
    - Tape measure
    - Marker

Materials
    - Black paint, I choose flat black but you can pick whatever
    - Plywood 2400mm x 1200mm x 12mm
    - 2 25cmx25cm 8mm aluminium sheets
    - 2 4mm Bottlescrew jaw & jaw
    - Wire eye strap
    - 3mm aluminium L brackets
    - 20 m8 x 40 cup head bolts
    - 8 m8 bolts
    - 52 m10 washers
    - 3M automotive tape or pot rivets
    - Garden edging

Cost roughly $192

Can be done cheaper if you are able to find off cuts of aluminium instead of getting new pieces cut off.

Angle grinder

Jig saw

work space

3m tape

aluminium sheet

Steps:

Step 1:
    Locate and remove your stock tow hooks which are positioned on your front chassis rails, at the same time see how much room you have for the front splitter mounts. There should be three 14mm bolts on each side.

Step 2:
    After getting a rough idea of space, mock up your splitter mount on cardboard. Cut out your cardboard mount and test fit it on the car itself.

Step 3:
    Once you’re happy with the mock mount, trace the mount onto the sheet of aluminium and start cutting out the mount with the angle grinder. Best to take it in sections and let the aluminium cool down.

Step 4:
    Proceed by drilling the holes for the chassis rail bolts, I found it easier to drill two holes for each bolt hole and used the dremel to cut in between. As you can see Ive made the hole longer instead of a fixed hole to help with removal of the bumper and also allowing height adjustment of the splitter itself.

Step 5:
    Test fit the mount onto the car once all the chassis bolt holes are drilled and cut. I had to widen the holes a few times to get it sitting perfect.

Step 6:
    Cut the aluminium L bracket into four 40cm long pieces and place them along side your splitter mount. Mark up the holes where you want to drill into. (I placed those holes 5cms apart)

Step 7:
    Drill the holes in both the L brackets and the splitter mounts and bolt them together. (I used a drill bit slightly bigger then my bolt just to allow for any errors). When you are happy with the way it is sitting continue to drill another 16 holes between both splitters for the plywood to be bolted onto the splitter mount.

Step 8:
    Remove your bumper and place it on the plywood and trace around the bumper allowing roughly a 10cm boarder. Once you are happy with where it is sitting move on to cutting up the splitter with the jigsaw. I made mine a bit bigger so shave down later once it is mounted on the car just in case it was too small.
    I also planned on having the splitter go under the sump but with the K swap it wouldn’t allow it. So i proceeded to just cut the sump part completely off.

Step 9:
    Bolt the splitter mount onto the car and place the plywood under and position it to your liking. Mark up where the holes are to drill on the plywood and mark up where the base of the mount will sit so you can secure it on.

Step 10:
    Drill holes for the mount on the plywood (I ended up with 10 holes on each side) and secure the two together.

Step 11:
    By now it would look alot more like a splitter, go and mount the splitter onto your car with the front bumper on. Take the garden edging and place it around your front bumper and on the splitter. Mark where the splitter is sitting and cut off any excess length.

Step 12:
    To secure the garden edging you will need L brackets, nut and bolts and double sided tape(or pot rivets).
    Instead of buying small L brackets I used the long left over L bracket piece I had and cut out 5 separate pieces. I then drilled a hole in each one and double sided tape it onto the garden edging. Place the edging on the outline marked before on the plywood and drilled my final 5 holes.
    Secure everything on and once again mount back onto the car.

Step 13:
    Position and install the bottlescrews and wire eye strap on the bumper and front splitter with the screws provided, this is for added strength of the splitter when down force is applied.

Step 14:
    When you are happy with the splitter and nothing else really needs to be done, remove everything off the plywood and start prepping your plywood for painting. I filed down the edges to make them smooth and just wiped down the surface but you can always lightly sand it.

finish by spraying it in the colour of your choice, then assemble it all back together

Last edited by G-Stick; 23-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    Mine weighed in at

Final product

Tips:
    Always take a break to clean up every so often
    Found it easy to grind down rough edges of the aluminium with the dremel w/cutting tool
    Drill a hole bigger than your bolt to allow for errors
    Always measure and mark and double check after every hole is drilled.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    please overlook any bad spelling or grammer :/

comments and criticism welcome

Account Disabled Array
    Awesome write up!

Product looks good. Keep up the good work

Member Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    Thanks man, also for the inspiration after seeing yours

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Very good DIY mate (Y)

Expect to get bombarded with rep.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

thats some ghetto shit, but ingenious (Y)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5s
    Thanks for the write up

I need to do this soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    building mine 2morrow, thanx
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord CM5
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Stick View Post
    Always take a break ....
    typical duy LOL!
    ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS ROCK FAKESH*T

Member Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    haha typical Oscar xD

Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    Very good DIY mate (Y)

Expect to get bombarded with rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post
    thats some ghetto shit, but ingenious (Y)
    Thanks guys, I am all for ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by TypeS View Post
    Thanks for the write up

I need to do this soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    building mine 2morrow, thanx
    Nps, post them up here when your done

Quote Originally Posted by longers View Post
    typical duy LOL!
    Haha.. i dont take too many breaks lol.. ask the guys xD