Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

Flushing Brake Fluid

Hey guys, I'm looking to change my brake fluid. A few simple questions, as it's been a while since I last did this. Does the engine still need to be running while I do the flush (for ABS reasons)? What's the difference between Super Dot4 and normal Dot 4 (cbf going to Honda for it, so I'ma drop by SCA for some castrol). Is there anything else I need bar Jack, stands and an empty bottle (and a extra pair of feet)? A DIY guide would be nice.

Edit: Is 500ml enough? Would have thought that the reserve was larger than that.
    Last edited by ChaosMaster; 15-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.

http://m.wikihow.com/Bleed-Car-Brakes

The link above is a good guide. Personally I think steps 2 and 3 arent really required. Remember to start at the corner opposite to the driver. Ie. rear passenger corner first.

Hth

Step 2 will save you alot of time as you are bleeding / pushing new fresh fluid into the lines. Step 3 is required to minimise dirt cutting seals and clogging up the master cylinders / ABS module.

Buy at least 2 or more 500ml brake fluid. Brake fluids are so cheap just make sure you are using an unopen bottle.
    Last edited by BigBen; 15-05-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Only if he does it properly and does not let the fluid levels get too low. I normally let the fluid drain until it goes close to emptying the reservoir. Then fill it with fresh fluid.
    More likely to dislodge when u shove some cloth in there. Just an opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I've done it before, just a while ago. I should be safe. Although that last time was about 7 years ago and with a car with no ABS. Which is why I'm asking if I should leave the car on for the ABS to be running. Also, I can't find the diff between SuperDOT4 and DOT4.

Super dot 4 is like dot 5.1

Some companies use Super Dot 4 to avoid customers confusing dot 5.1 with dot 5
    Last edited by e240; 15-05-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Ah, so it's fine to mix and match? Cos Euro got 4 in them stock. Not that I track my car, but it can't hurt to have a better fluid in it can it?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I plan to use dot 4 to flush completely and then top up reservoir with super dot 4.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Different boiling points...

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    I plan to use dot 4 to flush completely and then top up reservoir with super dot 4.
    Thats a bit of a waste...i mean, the higher performance fluid is in the reservoir while a lower spec fluid is in the lines, doing the actual work. Brake fluid doesn't circulate.

CM: A tendency when you go higher spec brake fluid (e.g. dot 5) is that they absorb moisture more readily compared to a lower spec (dot 4). This tendency means you should change the fluid more often. Day-to-day driving, you will not notice any difference in the two fluids.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroGraphite View Post
    Thats a bit of a waste...i mean, the higher performance fluid is in the reservoir while a lower spec fluid is in the lines, doing the actual work. Brake fluid doesn't circulate.

CM: A tendency when you go higher spec brake fluid (e.g. dot 5) is that they absorb moisture more readily compared to a lower spec (dot 4). This tendency means you should change the fluid more often. Day-to-day driving, you will not notice any difference in the two fluids.
    Thanks Graphite, I would rep you more if I could.
    Yeah, I figured I wouldn't notice any difference. It's just that I figured that if I used Dot5.1 which has a higher boiling point, it would be able to take more water than Dot 4. If you get what I mean. E.g Dot 4 boiling point dry is 230c, but with 3.7% water it's 155c. Dot 5.1 dry is 270c and wet is 190c. Assuming we have to change brake fluid when it's boiling point drops to 120c, then Dot 4 would be able to hold 5.42% water before it reaches this point where as Dot 5.1 would need 7%.

Of course, that's not really how we should calculate it. And if higer spec absorbs moisture more, then wouldn't Dot 3 be even safer?