Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL

Buying a prelude

Hey guys,

Im interested in buying a prelude, Ive been looking on carsales, all these preludes are mostly about to hit 200,000 km mark. I find people usually are selling right before or right after that mark.

Should there be things i should look out for when im buying a high km prelude? how much should ibe paying for one with that many kms.

Any input appreciated

Thanks
    Simon

Might want to start by letting us know what year model(s) you are looking at? Auto or Manual?
    1997 Prelude VTi-R

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhaha View Post
    Hey guys,

Im interested in buying a prelude, Ive been looking on carsales, all these preludes are mostly about to hit 200,000 km mark. I find people usually are selling right before or right after that mark.

Should there be things i should look out for when im buying a high km prelude? how much should ibe paying for one with that many kms.

Any input appreciated

Thanks
    Simon
    This has been covered before, but main issues if its auto is the transmission. Would reccomend buying a manual. At the end of the day if the car has been cared for and not trashed then the engine will be fine even though its done a high amount of kms. For a BB6 with that many kms i wouldnt pay more then 8k i bought mine with 150xxx for less than 8k

Quote Originally Posted by 8700s14 View Post
    Might want to start by letting us know what year model(s) you are looking at? Auto or Manual?
    and what state your in, I have found cars in 1 state are priced differently to cars in another

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude VTI-R
    Yeah I paid 7k for 130k but it may be worth paying 8k if you find one clean.

Main thing like manolli said, stay away from autos they are time bombs, first of the tiptronic (I took a friend to look at a couple and both had auto problems with less than 150k lol)

Check for timing belt at 100k, auto tensioners are known to fail and are worth replacing once buying if they haven't been, balancer seals can pop off on early models and have retainers to stop this on later models, crank pulleys can also fall off or come loose usually from not being tightened after a timing belt so its worth replacing the bolt and getting it done up VERY tight (check the pulley isn't moving too much on idle or through the revs because sometimes people get it fixed and crank will wobble)

h22's use alot of oil and are common to leak oil too being 15 years old, other than that they are fairly solid cars and I wouldn't worry too much about km's providing its got good service history and the engine and gearbox feel/sound good, plenty of people get way over 300k out of them in the US, pretty good considering how high they rev.

They're the main things I would of liked to be aware of before buying but I don't regret buying one at all!

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by wastingtime View Post
    Yeah I paid 7k for 130k but it may be worth paying 8k if you find one clean.

Main thing like manolli said, stay away from autos they are time bombs, first of the tiptronic (I took a friend to look at a couple and both had auto problems with less than 150k lol)

Check for timing belt at 100k, auto tensioners are known to fail and are worth replacing once buying if they haven't been, balancer seals can pop off on early models and have retainers to stop this on later models, crank pulleys can also fall off or come loose usually from not being tightened after a timing belt so its worth replacing the bolt and getting it done up VERY tight (check the pulley isn't moving too much on idle or through the revs because sometimes people get it fixed and crank will wobble)

h22's use alot of oil and are common to leak oil too being 15 years old, other than that they are fairly solid cars and I wouldn't worry too much about km's providing its got good service history and the engine and gearbox feel/sound good, plenty of people get way over 300k out of them in the US, pretty good considering how high they rev.

They're the main things I would of liked to be aware of before buying but I don't regret buying one at all!
    Auto's are not 'time bombs' ..With correct treatment and servicing they will last into the 400,000's.. And the 'Tiptronic' ones are no exception.
    Just because 'a couple' were bad, doesn't mean they all are.

Auto Tensioners are a joke on the H22As, but you can do a Manual Tensioner conversion, or but a good aftermarket Auto Tensioner and it's nothing to worry about.
    Balancer seals RARELY pop off, and if you wish to be safe the Retainer costs about $5.

If your Crank Pulley falls off, find a new mechanic.. Wtf.
    Also there is a torque rating, please don't break your Crank Pulley bolts.

H22A's don't use any more oil than the other Honda Motors (which is very minimal, Honda's are excellent on oil consumption)
    Most oil leaks are simple and easily fixed, don't write a car off just because it leaks a little oil.
    Ofcourse you should determine where the leak is first! (Sump plug, oil filter, heat exchanger, valve cover gasket.. Are all easily fixed)

H22A's are renowned as one of Honda's best Motors for a reason.. Good luck with your 'Lude!
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude VTI-R
    I'm simply filling the guy in of common faults, all cars have them! I will happily send threads of multiple people having each of those problems. manual tensioner isn't too much of a drama as you can buy it for $150 online but it is something that fails and should be known. My mechanic mate and I re-used the crank bolt with loctite and a rattle gun ratted at more than enough and it came loose months later, its common to happen on some hondas because they spin the opposite of most engines so yes they do have to be tight, I didn't say over the recommended torque rating! the engines are spinning the right way to loosen, its rare to happen but it can, this is why I said change the $10 bolt.

I do admit I've only heard about balancer seals falling out, I don't know much about the topic.

H22's are known to use oil even leak free, this isn't saying they aren't an awsome motor which they are! but they will use more oil than your average motor.

Saying all this they are known to be just as reliable as any other honda but a 15 year old car is always going to need certain things changed for that extra peace of mind.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    regarding the auto tensioner: the issue was 'fixed' after 98 (or 99, i'm unsure)

make sure you check compression
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    my tiptronic bb6 with less than 130xxxkms with its mods would be going for 11-12k for its mintness!
    for 7-8k id be worried what is wrong with it imo
    Welcome Abourd

Quote Originally Posted by integragsi96 View Post
    my tiptronic bb6 with less than 130xxxkms with its mods would be going for 11-12k for its mintness!
    for 7-8k id be worried what is wrong with it imo
    I doubt it would be 'going' for 11-12k, you would be 'asking' 11-12k!

7-8k is the going rate for a decent 150,000km vti-r. I got mine immaculate, with 160,000 for 6k....
    1997 Prelude VTi-R

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    id still get a good price.
    everyone who see's my car and has been in it loves it
    also has the full oem lip kit and various other options..
    but enough about my car.
    i think if your looking for a tiptronic prelude go for the 99+ models as the 97-98 boxes tend to be a bit weak if their not taken care of!
    a manual low km vtir would set you back a fair amount
    Welcome Abourd

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 8700s14 View Post
    I doubt it would be 'going' for 11-12k, you would be 'asking' 11-12k!

7-8k is the going rate for a decent 150,000km vti-r. I got mine immaculate, with 160,000 for 6k....
    From what i've seen.. 11k-12k is market value for a later model BB6 VTiR
    Friend bought his for 11.8k a year back, sold it a month ago for 11k cash.
    And when he was buying, they were all between 10k and 12k.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    From what i've seen.. 11k-12k is market value for a later model BB6 VTiR
    Friend bought his for 11.8k a year back, sold it a month ago for 11k cash.
    And when he was buying, they were all between 10k and 12k.
    Well put it this way, I would sell mine in a heart-beat if someone offered me 8k for it! (160,000, '97 VTiR)
    1997 Prelude VTi-R