Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

Brush On Sound Deadening

I've just finished applying some 3M Brush On Sound deadening. For those who don't know, check out this thread (starts towards mid):
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ing-your-doors

Thoughts:
    Definitely a reduction in road noise. If I had to rate, when I was on my OEM Dunlop SP Sport 2050a, I'ld rate them 5 for noise (0 being silent, 10 being bloody noisy). When I changed to Conti Sport Contact 3, noise went up to 8 (yeah, freaken noisy as tyre). After applying the Brush On Sound Deadening, noise has come back down to around 5-6 (still need to drive it on the freeway, but on a hwy, there's a definite improvement). Considering a tin of 4ltrs set me back $42 from SCA (they cutting out 3M now, but they still have the Septone equiv), I used about 1/3 of it, so for $14 + 3hrs of work, it's pretty impressive stuff.

Notes:
    -CL9 already has bitumen as sound deadener on it, so this will add a layer on top. I've no doubt if your car doesn't have any e.g. if you doing an older accord or civic perhaps, then the difference would be even greater.
    -The paint is very thick, think like putty only stickier and slightly runnier. It recommends using a thick bristled brush or spatula. I use my hands (wearing large yellow rubber gloves of course) as I found that easier.
    -You can also mix enemal thinner with it, if you prefer to use a brush. The deadener itself is available in 1ltr cans, so with some thinner, it should be more than enough for a single car application. Would be the easiest option I would think. You can also apply it below your car (again, CL9 already had bitumen so I CBF). It's definitely cheaper than Dynamat and such.

More rant:
    Another option would be to get quieter tyres. Which is prob next on my list, however, now road noise is about par with wind noise and engine noise. Previously, with my hateful Conti's (avoid the CSC3), the road noise would dominate everything, and I would have to listen to music at 12 on the HWY (13 on FWY), now it's comfortable at 9, although I usually listen at 10.

Member Array
    Car:
    '04 Euro [Cl9]
    Awesome, been thinking of doing this but wasn't sure if it was worthwhile, might do it on one of my days off. By the way, you mention you didn't put it 'below the car' so where exactly did you put it? Only the wheel arches? I was thinking of putting it everywhere under the car. Also, is this supposed to enhance rust protection?

Ollie

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Yeah, I put it in my wheel arches, as that's mainly where the noise is coming from. When I say under the car, I pretty much mean everywhere under the cabin where the seats are. Although, if you intend to do that, it maybe a lot easier to just grab dynamat and place it under the carpets. Also note that for the front, I only applied it to the rear of the wheel arches, because the front is the engine bay and thus doesn't need it. As for my rear wheels, I applied it only on the front area, again, because the rear is the boot.

As for rust protection, well, it's essentially a type of "paint" if you could call it that, so yes, it does enhance rust protection, and for those with older cars with rust already, the text on the tin does say that you can apply it on top of cleaned out rust.

Just took it for spin on the fwy today, and I'll rate it closer to a 6 than a 5, so it's not as quiet as when with my dunlops but still a big difference.

Would be easier to retro fit the Honda Accord active noise cancellation system or something similar in your car.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I doubt it, unless you know what your doing. The only reason this takes so long is because you prob want to clean the arches properly before you apply. Well at least I did. It's also a lot cheaper option too.