Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Euro MY07

Urgent - Euro MY07 Tyres - Read the forums now I have questions

Hi Guys,

Been reading your forums for a few days now comparing views on new tyres.

I need to get 4 new tyres for my Honda Accord Euro My07. its running stock alloys.

Current tyres I have on is the Dunlop E's 205 / 55/ 16R.

I have read reviews on Kuhmo KU31, Toyo T1R's, Potenza RE002's and Yokohama C Drive's.

Now it seems all of these 4 tyres are good tyres. But some are more durable and comfortable while others are more performance based.

Now its hard because i would normally go for performance tyres, i previously owned a zippy civic and a toyota celica and loved my performance tyres.

But now i am becoming more of a family man and so as a result will be doing more point a to point b trips with the odd long haul trip. Ie not much need for a performance tyre. Also with bugetting, i tend to lean to the more durable of tyre choice.

So now i have a dillemah.

I found these as the best prices i could get in Sydney, NSW near enough to where i live (near Chatswood).

I am getting 4 new tyres btw.

Toyo T1 Sport - $209 a tyre = $836
    Toyo Toe Plus - $179 a tyre = $716 - $40 cash back = $676
    Yokohama C Drive - $185 a tyre = $740
    Khumo KU31 - $169 per tyre = $676
    Potenza RE002 - $189 a tyre, = $567 (buy 3 get 1 free)

Now i havent heard much about the Toyo Toe Plus on these forums, everyone seems to rave about the T1 sport. But i was told these are good as they are more durable and comformable, and less noisy. plus its a good price for 4 tyres.

But then i look at the potenza's now that price is cheap as for 4 tyres. And they are aparently damn good performance tyres too. Sure they may not last as long as the other ones and they may also be noisier and less comfy. but damn thats a hard deal to pass up.

At the moment i am tossing up between the Potenza RE002 and the Toyo Toe Plus.

I am really hoping some of you guys wouldnt mind posting your thoughts on this, to help me make my final decision.

I need to make this decision in the next 3hrs

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments/thoughts.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    I was gonna say, potenza's at bob jane, buy 3 get one free!!!! A deal that you cannot pass.

My friend has been A to B driving on RE001's and it's like 4 years running. He's currently like 30ish% thread now. That's pretty good considering the softer compound.

I'd go for the RE002's as it's a pretty darn good deal.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    For a bigger car/cruiser I really like Pirelli P6000 or P6 I think they're called now.

Otherwise I'd consider the RE002 for the price.

But how do you drive the car? These are street performance tyres for spirited driving. Is that what you need them for?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    I just bought from these guys,very good prices and one day delivery interstate no charge

http://www.saveontyres.com.au/tyres....re_diameter=36

The Dunlop DZ101 @ $135 wouldnt be bad choice

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Refer this thread;
    Might make it easier to decide what tyres will suit your needs, and help you compare like tyres based on wear ratings.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...s-a-Semi-Slick
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    Refer this thread;
    Might make it easier to decide what tyres will suit your needs, and help you compare like tyres based on wear ratings.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...s-a-Semi-Slick
    That thread is barely related to this guys query.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mazda 3 + Honda Odyssey
    for the price at the moment, its hard to beat the RE002 with the Buy 3, get 1 free price.

I ended up replacing my KU31 with the RE002 and the car is soo much quieter.

PLus, its another $5/tyre if you are an NRMA member, so i got another $20 off the price

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    That thread is barely related to this guys query.
    He is comparing tyres that aren't in the same class.. Just trying to make him aware that not all performance tyres wear the same.. Some as low as 30,000kms.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Was in same situations with same car and wheels. I went to Conti Sport Contact 3, which are way louder so just avoid. Don't bother with reviews as they are bais, since their done by common people and not publishers. What I mean is like I went from Dunlops to Conti and found they were louder, a lot of people had the Conti's as OEM (e.g. on BMW and Mercs) and they downgraded to say Bob Jane or Kumhos and found that the Conti were actually decent. So it's really hard to compare.

As for tyre wear, look for their wear rating. 100 is bad, 200 is good, 500 should last you a lifetime, assuming you don't have crazy camber.
    Options:
    1. Go a GT tyre. Compare to Ultra High Performance tyre, a GT tyre is designed with Noise and Comfort high on their list instead of outright grip. An example of this would be Conti Premium Contact (as compare to the Sport Contact I've currently got, although I'm not too fond of Conti myself having experienced the CSC3).
    2. Go for a softer compound tyre, something like RE002, which will give a more comfortable ride, and hopefully the softer compound will mean it absorbs more vibrations thus less noise. (don't hold this one me).
    3. Go for a tyre that was designed for low noise level from the get and go. E.g. the Yokohama DB series, which as the name suggest, was designed for low noise. The Advan DB, code V551, is the latest model, not all stores have it so you might have to shop around as it was released late last year. Last I checked, they went for around the 220 mark.
    4. If I could recommend something, I'ld say the Nitto Invo. They have been tested directly against the CSC I have now, and have been said to be quieter, and provide a more "Luxury" feel. Tread wear is rated at 280 so it'll last 50k km, or should. Or you could look at the Nitto Motiv0, which is meant to nearly as quiet, but runs a harder compound so tread wear rating is 400, and has a 60k mile guarantee in the states which is near 100k km. Kumho KH17/18 are said to be pretty quiet but I haven't had any experience.

If I had to put it in priority: TreadWear = Nitto Motivo, Price = Kumho KH17/18, Grip = Nitto Invo, Value/Local = RE002, Noise = Yoko V551, Loud and Expensive and Hateful = CSC3.

HTH