Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic

Wheel & Tyre Sizes - EK

Hey guys,

It's almost time for new wheels for the EK.. (currently on stockies - 185/60/R14). I would like 16" but I can't find any styles I really like in 16", so I'm leaning towards 17", with 205/40 tyres. (Keeps my overall diameter just SLIGHTLY over the 3% recommended maximum diameter increase)

Here's the problem: In SA, we have the 2" rule.. Meaning I can only go 2" from stock, or, wheel size mustn't exceed 50mm of stock (17" is 76mm of stock) & tyre size mustn't exceed 15mm of stock (205/40 is 18mm of stock..). So it would be defectable, but definitely not obvious to the naked eye - would have to be measured up by some disgruntled copper in order for him to issue a defect. That's a risk I'm willing to take, unless someone can disprove my calculations.

Anyway, can anyone offer any advice/experience in using 17"s on their EK? And any legal issues with it? Also, can anyone recommend any good looking 16" wheels? Or any sites that offer alot of 'smaller size' wheels?

Also, I've seen some EKs that look amazing on 17s, i've also seen some EKs that look like 4WDs.. Would I HAVE TO drop the EK to make it look decent on 17s?

Alot of questions, I know, but I've been trying to do my research on all of this before I make a decision.. Now I'm after opinions & hopefully some experience with this issue.

Cheers,

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    You will need to lower it to make it not look like a monster truck. Just keep the stock EK wheel so if you do get defected you can just put the stockies back on and clear it.

Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    UPDATE: Made some calls and found that 205/40R17 will be legal on the Civic.

So, I still have the question: What do 17s look like on an EK? Too tipey-toe? Cause my EK has a fair bit of room to fit some larger wheels nicely. Will I need to lower it for it to look any good? Any pics/thread links to EK's with 17s that look good at stock height?

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by white_ep3_civic View Post
    You will need to lower it to make it not look like a monster truck. Just keep the stock EK wheel so if you do get defected you can just put the stockies back on and clear it.
    Yeah, thought so. I am planning on throwing some King springs/shocks (or equivalent.. whichever is most affordable) in there for a 30mm-ish drop.
    Last edited by TranceZiggy; 05-06-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic '96 Gli
    Hey, I've got 16s on my otherwise (almost) stock EK1, I reckon they look good. The tyre size is 205/45/r16 and I reckon it's just enough sidewall that it doesn't look like I'm going for rubber bands. What kinda style are you going for with the wheels?
    I can post up a picture or two of mine if you want...

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek1
    16s run best on ek 17 lil bit too big

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Dunno where you got your wheel info but it doesnt seem correct- http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...e_vehicles.pdf
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    Yeah I used the online tyre calculator plus my own math to get them figures but i don't know how accurate I was, regardless, Adelaide Tyrepower said that 205/40R17 is within legal specs, but I'd prefer 16s if I can find some I like.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for 16s? Most tyre/wheel shop's websites have bugger all 16s up. And pics of 16s as some of you offered would be cool, you may have something I like

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    Im running my mates 17s on my car, with coilovers pretty much close to the highest setting. They scrub, wreck your front quarter panels and look way to big. 16" fills it out nicely.
    3 guys walk into a bar. The first guy told the D to get a B series.The second guy told the B to get a K series. The last guy told the K to fk off just get a V8 mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    99' civic ek
    well im running 17" (205/40/17) on my civic just go to my build thread to see it but i have no dramas with mine just have to get the offsets right and the tires wont rub. i also have king lows with new struts to suit and i dont have any dramas
    nOObest of the noob ^_^

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    I have 17's. My car is quite low on coilovers. I don't have any problems but I'd still recommend 16's or even 15's. They're harder to buckle and they don't take away as much power at the wheels. Car looks like shit when not lowered on 17's.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    thats 17's on stock springs not flat ground but its not too bad only thing make sure its good offset because i always scrape on the inner side quite badly with a full car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4

17's with 205 40 17 on 'low king springs'

16's with 205 45 16 on coilovers ......

16's are perfect on an ek and > 17's from personal experience... ride quality, minimal scrubbing etc..