Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Civic

Post Engine Performance Choices

Hey forum,

Im thinking about what engine performance modifications to do to my EK1 civic in order to perform great on the streets and for some form of hill climb/track events.

This is taking into account that im going to do my suspension work before any of these performance mods take place.

My problem is for what would style of performance would be best for the style of car i would want, on a budget style build layout for a uni student.

I had a stock d16y4 in the car at the moment and was thinking about a self built t25 or t28 turbo kit which will give usable boost power on the streets and wont have much lag.
    Or would it be better to go with a motor swap such as b16a/b18c/K20a and keep it N/A??

Guys please help me out with this choice. What would be the pros and cons of these set ups for a street/hill climb set up.

Help would be appreciated
    Steven

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    how much ccan u spend on motor

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Civic
    Assume that i can spend the money on the swaps while saving up. (probs not K swap thou )

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    Then best thing would be Type R conversion

Y8 head and small turbo.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Civic
    Interesting options guys,
    What are your reasons for these choices?

Y8 and turbo is pretty good bang for buck and make decent power. Personally though, I would keep it NA and get B18CR but that would be easily twice the price with not too much difference in power.

Research what the D16 is capable of, d-series.org is a really good resource.
    Last edited by DarkAgent; 07-06-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven1 View Post
    Guys please help me out with this choice. What would be the pros and cons of these set ups for a street/hill climb set up.
    B20VTEC, cheapish compared to other engine conversions around the same displacement and torque (needed for hiill climbs). Not sure about NSW, but SA it can be done without engineering/inspection. That could be a MASSIVE pro along with reliabilty Cons - not much power to be gained once you go the all motor set up.

Turbo you will run the risk of understeer with a FWD (where with NA you have a bit more linear approach of power, reducing understeer somewhat), cooling issues if not done properly, probably a rebuild depending on your Kms and reliability. Which brings me to my other point. All equipped with an LSD gearbox.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 08-06-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    EG

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Civic
    Ah interesting choice there infurNOS, didnt think about a B20 style build up.. I do like the idea of uniqueish builds like d and b20's due to many ppl going the straight up b16/18 route. Since I hadnt thought about it, How much would a B20VTEC build cost on rough estimate?

Well with my turbo d series thoughts, i was thinking that a small turbo on stock engine only pushing 6odd PSI and it would be ok to compensate the understeer with suspension? could easily be wrong there.

My car has 100000km on the d16y4 engine atm so was thinking to take advantage of it by using it for the build. Heard it can be done quite cheap if you source the parts yourself and do the labour (minus tuning).

On the LSD point, without a doubt need one of them

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    if u set ur car up right understeer wont be a problem with a turbo.

in saying that im an biased towards a b20 set up and a turbo set up, as i have a B20 Turbo.
    both will give good low end torque to pull u out of the corners and if u have the right equipment in the car it can be a great set up.

both can be had at reasonable prices these days.
    Last edited by Riced_Civic; 08-06-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    track use and daily, i would go for the late model b18cr, get the front cut which has brakes for upgrade as well, and the gearbox has lsd plus shorter final drive, which is what u want on the street and track.

if you go turbo D, u will be wanting more power, and soon you will spend more $$ rebuilding the motor, and all the cooling and braking as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    I agree with Riced_Civic, my b18c turbo seems to do a good job on the track, suspension set up is important, and good control with your right foot in the corner, i think u will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    if u set ur car up right understeer wont be a problem with a turbo.

in saying that im an biased towards a b20 set up and a turbo set up, as i have a B20 Turbo.
    both will give good low end torque to pull u out of the corners and if u have the right equipment in the car it can be a great set up.

both can be had at reasonable prices these days.