Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra

Honda Integra VTiR - major fuel problems

I recently have bought a 95 Honda Integra VTiR, picked it up for $3400 off gumtree.
    The car is currently consuming way too much petrol, short 5 min drives and the fuel gauge lowers, when hitting vtec it lowers significantly and the gauge stays down. (The car isn't thrashed down every single road) - hit vtec maybe once or twice a trip.
    The car has a few modifications to the engine, which were already on the car, they include:
    .After market pod filter (not in box) - yes it's a defect
    .Extractors
    .exhaust system
    http://i.imgur.com/dQLjK.jpg

The previous owner also installed an after market cluster, which i think was installed as the car may have had high KMs before?
    This is a pic of the cluster: http://i.imgur.com/JGztW.jpg

Before 5 min drive : http://i.imgur.com/n6F1O.jpg
    After: http://i.imgur.com/jh4O3.jpg

I barely take the car out as i have my auto Red P license (no manual car in house at the time)
    I get my greens early next month.

I also took the car to my mechanic who checked for any fuel leaks, turns out there's no leaks.

I have only a few ideas to why it may be consuming this much petrol, maybe the oxygen sensor, clog in filter, as there is a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust- http://i.imgur.com/42G2a.jpg
    or poor wiring on the cluster as it doesn't even light up when the lights are on.
    I cant even count the kms i get out of a tank as the kilometers are stuck on 168888

I have no idea what the problem is...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Does the car smell mega rich (strong burning petrol smell) upon start up and when you boot it ?Do have access to another ECU for that car you can try?

Try a new ECU first and if it does not improve, give it a general service aswell as: check/replace o2, flow test/replace injectors, check/replace fuel filter, check/replace spark plug gaps and part number, check tyre pressures.

It could also be a faulty gauge (especially if the km do not move) which you could test by driving until it hits empty on the needle and see how far you can drive. Does the trip meter work, or is it just the odometer that has stopped a reading?

If the trip meter DOES work then fill up to full tank, drive around, then fill up to full tank again. Report the kms driven and litres it took to fill back up off the petrol pump.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 18-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    EG

Sounds like a dodgy change over of the instrument cluster.

The calibrations could be way off for your fuel needle.

Also check your speed sensor if its plugged in and working.

Worse case scenario is a dodgy overall cluster/wiring as mentioned above.

Try using another working cluster and plug it in. If its still not working then check wiring and speed/fuel sensors/senders.
    Turbo?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    Yes, every time i turn on the car there is a strong fume smell...
    I hope it's mainly the cluster, overall in terms of performance the car does go hard and has a nice vtec kick in

Thanks for the tips, well deffs look into it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    Can half ass wiring be a main reason to the fuel gauge going down this much?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    firstly, just give it a really good service.

Change oil and air filters,
    new spark plugs and leads
    fresh gearbox oil
    new oxygen sensor

What does the temp guage do when youre driving it, does it change at all? If not then it could be that the temp sensor/sender is gone, which is causing the ecu to stay in cold start mode, which will use lots of extra fuel. So change the temp sensors, and change the thermostat while youre at it.

Then either rip that cluster out and sort out the wiring, or get an auto elec to sort it out for you.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    The temp gauge works fine, i hate that the cluster is in MPH and has KPH in small writing along the MPH, which is really confusing while driving, also me and my friends all agree that the speed gauge is inaccurate by around 10kms.
    I really need a new cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan93 View Post
    The temp gauge works fine, i hate that the cluster is in MPH and has KPH in small writing along the MPH, which is really confusing while driving, also me and my friends all agree that the speed gauge is inaccurate by around 10kms.
    I really need a new cluster.
    Yeh sounds like the calibrations on both speedo and fuel gauges needles have been removed and re-installed incorrectly.

Ditch that ricer looking cluster and try putting a oem one back in and test for accuracy.
    Turbo?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Did you do a service yet? (10-30W Oil and cleaned air filter? )
    Clean your TB as well and was your spark plugs black ( like black black )?

Short drives and driving your car when its not warmed up yet can run rich...
    My one goes a far bit down sometime. It really doesn't matter as long as you get 400km over with a full tank.

And when you took the photo's...Did you make sure you car wasn't tilted?

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    The cluster looks like a standard VTiR cluster with a white face EL Gauge backing, its supposed to light up blue..
    ebay special

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/94-01-Acu...item58946f9876

Sorry to say but its most likely something to do with your engine, as others have suggested do a thorough service
    include fuel filter, plugs, engine oil+filter and new o2 sensor

more than likely the two highlighted in red.

Also check its running the standard P72 B18C2 Computer, the car could have an p28 ecu chipped ebay special
    chip installed causing the car to run rich.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    Yeah i had a major service done one month ago. Both pictures were taken on a flat surface and I always let the engine warm up before

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    Alright, I'll look into that asap, thanks heaps.