Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

30,000k service with Castrol Edge 5W-40 Oil?

Just wondering if I can put in 5W-40 Castrol Edge oil for 30,000k service?
    is it too early? should I still keep putting 5W-30? or is it gonna be better to start 5W-40 now?

Thanks!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Is there a reason you'ld want to change to a thicker oil? I mean unless you live in the desert (I don't know where abouts you live, perhaps WA, NT or Alice springs?) you might want the extra protection, but otherwise, 5W-30 would give slightly better performance and fuel economy. 5W-30 is usually Full Synth as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    5w-30 is enough, why change to 5w-40?

Even at 35'c weather 5w-30 is sufficient.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Yeah, problem is for when you live near the desert, it's always above 40°c. But otherwise, I don't see the point.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by lf1234 View Post
    Just wondering if I can put in 5W-40 Castrol Edge oil for 30,000k service?
    is it too early? should I still keep putting 5W-30? or is it gonna be better to start 5W-40 now?

Thanks!!
    It's fine. I use 5w-30, 0w-40 and swap around them whenever I feel like it.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Thanks everyone..
    I live in Sydney lol.. so it's not for extreme weather..

it's just i'm due for a 30,000k service, and i bought a 5-40 because 5-30 was out of stock.. =.=

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    You can use it.

But expect higher fuel consumption and slightly less performance. (just my experience switching from M1 5w-30 to 0w-40)
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    It's fine. I use 5w-30, 0w-40 and swap around them whenever I feel like it.
    Thanks Aaronng!
    I have a few more questions..
    1. if I put 5w40, it won't damage the engine right? it's just it's thicker, so fuel consumption will be higher..?
    2. It will definitely protect the engine more? but will it make the engine hard to spin, so puts more work on other parts of the car and therefore damages the car?
    3. Is there any negative sides at all if I use 5w40 now..?

Thanks!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    ^ it's within the recommended oil spec by OEM. So no, it won't damage anything.

It wouldnt protect the engine "more" unless you are in a very hot climate.

Ps: most Honda dealers use 10w-40 castrol anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks Aaronng!
    1. if I put 5w40, it won't damage the engine right? it's just it's thicker, so fuel consumption will be higher..?
    2. It will definitely protect the engine more? but will it make the engine hard to spin, so puts more work on other parts of the car and therefore damages the car?

Thanks!!!
    I'm pretty sure it's all been answered.
    1. It's safe. The manual book happily recommends it, if you can be bothered reading it.
    2. I think you just answered your own question. Thicker oil will make the engine work harder, thus higher fuel consumption and loss of power. Thicker oil is usually used in higher temperature climates, because the temp will cause the oil to be too thin thus more wear. Also used when engines have done high km's (at least back then, not sure if they do so anymore, considering improvements to Synthetic) because rings and bore would have worn, thus they have a slightly larger gap thus a thicker oil is required, at least that was the theory.
    3. Errr, as listed, fuel con and power loss.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Thanks Aaronng!

Thanks!!!
    1. Nope, it won't damage the engine. In the CL9 owner's manual there is a chart on the engine oil viscosities that the Accord Euro can use. They are 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40. So 5w-40 is fine. I've used 0w-30 (Elf, Amsoil), 5w-30 (Edge), 10w-30 (FEO), 0w-40 (Edge) and 5w-40 (Motul), and my engine is fine. I assume yours is a CU2, so the viscosities are the same, and I believe that 0w-20 might be listed in there too since the US models get filled with that oil to gain maximum fuel economy.

2. It won't be more difficult to spin. How slippery an oil is depends on many other factors in addition to viscosity. A good 5w-40 engine oil can be more slippery than a cheap 10w-30 oil, thus making it actually easier to spin/accelerate. The suitable viscosity depends on what the oil pump is designed to pump (which is the range of viscosities that I listed above). There are also other factors which are a combination of viscosity and oil specific composition. For example, a cheap 5w-40 which uses mineral base uses viscosity improvers which break down as you use the oil. So the viscosity reduces from 5w-40 to something thinner such as 5w-30 as the oil gets older. There will be a point where a very old oil can be too thin to protect the engine eventhough it looks black and full of crap. Then you have the more expensive oils such as the group III "synthetic" mineral oils are mostly base stock and very little viscosity improvers actually start low (Castrol Edge 5w-30) which then thicken up as it collects carbon deposits and other crap in the oil. On the upper end are the Group IV and Group V "real" synthetics which are much more expensive but perform very well in coping with harsh driving conditions such as on a race track.

3. Most probably none that you will notice. You might find a slight increase in fuel consumption like Fredoops mentioned but for me, I recorded every petrol fill up and calculated fuel consumption over a 3 year period using 10w-40, then 5w-30 and 5w-40. I found that the engine changed in fuel consumption more to my right foot as compared to the engine oil that I was using. As for power, it is oil dependent and also fuel dependent. I felt I got more power from using Edge 0w-40 compared to the FEO 10w-30 but I believe it was a placebo effect.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Cool..!! Thanks everyone!!