Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    95 BB4 Si Vtec
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    what codes do you get. did you do the rear actuator sensor re learn procedure when you first staterd the car when you refit the 4WS ECU ?
    No mate,i'll get the code off it tomorrow,so many Gremlins at the moment just it is not an urgent one but an annoyance!
    First time i have heard of the rear actuator sensor.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBurger View Post
    You know what? As soon as I read your post my 4WS light started coming on again. ECU man, I recalibrated the ECU by doing that full left turn, right turn and repeat on starting up but not resetting the rear actuator. How does one actually do that? I was getting code 62, still am for that matter.
    Code 62 refeeres to either the rear actuator motor, 4WS Control Unit or wiring being at fault. I know you have resoldered your ECU, did you inspect all solder joints in the ECU, did you miss any. Did you happen to take any pics of the PCB when you finished relowing the dry joints. You problem may not be your ECU or it still could be.

resetting the Rear actuator is a complex job. Im not goint to explain how to do it here but it involves
    - a 4WS alighnment where the rear actuator must be locked using the honda lock tool during alighnment,
    - Front Main Sterring angle sensor adjusted corectly
    - Front Sub Steering angle sensor adjusted corectly
    - rear sub steering angle sensor adjusted corectly

get any of the above 4 processes wrong and you will have a world of pain with the 4WS system.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish R View Post
    First time i have heard of the rear actuator sensor.
    Rear Actuator actually has two sensors

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Code 62 refeeres to either the rear actuator motor, 4WS Control Unit or wiring being at fault. I know you have resoldered your ECU, did you inspect all solder joints in the ECU, did you miss any. Did you happen to take any pics of the PCB when you finished relowing the dry joints. You problem may not be your ECU or it still could be.

resetting the Rear actuator is a complex job. Im not goint to explain how to do it here but it involves
    - a 4WS alighnment where the rear actuator must be locked using the honda lock tool during alighnment,
    - Front Main Sterring angle sensor adjusted corectly
    - Front Sub Steering angle sensor adjusted corectly
    - rear sub steering angle sensor adjusted corectly

get any of the above 4 processes wrong and you will have a world of pain with the 4WS system.
    Right, I think im just going to say bugger it. It does not seem to be worth the effort. I didn't take photos of the dry solder joints but I did all the ones on the controller PCB as well. I dont really want to waste any more money or time on it. Can you take it out with out running a 4WS light permanently on?

Member Array
    Car:
    95 BB4 Si Vtec
    ^^I'm not prepared to spend any money or any more time mine either but i will chance a quote from Honda just to amuse myself.
    When i had my 4WS unit out and drove it the light remained out on the dash.
    Done similar with my my Pajero,the Super Select lights were giving me a headache with all the flashing,bulbs removed,it works fine,i'm happy no adverse effects on your vehicles driving just bloody sensors giving up..

Car:
    twin GX160's
    dont disconect the ECU, leave it connected, remove the globe from the cluster. The ECU in fail safe mode should keep the rear rack in the straight ahead possition.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    dont disconect the ECU, leave it connected, remove the globe from the cluster. The ECU in fail safe mode should keep the rear rack in the straight ahead possition.
    Im afraid it doesn't happen like that. When the fail safe mode comes on the electric motor disengages. The wheels are kept in a straight line using the resistance of two heavy duty springs. Only problem is if you catch a bump or channel in the road the car jerks (almost violently) to either side until the back wheel realign. Its one of the most scary things I have felt while driving. I'm looking for a locking pin to actually lock the rear actuator in place to prevent this but with a bit of research they say never to drive with them in....

Im not sure what to do really....I want to either fix it or lock em with out spending tonnes of $$ chasing around the problem

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Ok so I have a bit of an update. After thinking that my car was about to run off the road because of all this crazy wobbling going on I took my car to my mechanic. I got him to check out all the steering components after I put some new tie rod ends on myself. Turns out everything up front is all square, the back too mechanically. Just for good measure I got the whole thing realigned as well. Still no good, so I took it for a drive with a go pro2 looking at the back wheel steering angles while there was an error code....and...turns out the back wheels do move slighty causing the car to jerk to one side until it corrects. I can put the video up on youtube a bit later on.

I have now decided to let a pro do the resoldering of the relays in the 4WS unit to see if that corrects the problem permanently since last time I did it it lasted a week or so. Hopefully things will be a touch better once I get it back.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Another update.... I just got my ECU repaired by a professional. Chucked it back in the car, error light came on again after start up which made me a little disappointed. Woke up the next day drove to work and no more error light since! Hopefully it works for a longer time than when I repaired it.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    did you do the learn procedure on first start up ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Yeah I did the procedure. Since last week the error happens on and off. Some days fine, other days on the whole time.