Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir

Unhappy H22a 4WS ecu resolder

Hi Guys,

My 4WS is throwing a few tantrums. Checked the codes and its a 62. With a bit of research I think an ECU resolder is in order. Hopefully that will solve a few of the issues.
    My problem is I have very little experience with soldering/removing old solder. I can take it out but I was wondering if anyone would like to earn a slab o' beer for doing the electrical side of it?

I live in Melbourne......please help!

Member Array
    Car:
    I own an Engine
    Remove the 4WS all together, it's generally regarded as being a all around useless feature that causes more problems then what it's worth.

If you're keen on keeping it just youtube a how to solder video then go to Jaycar and get some simple bread board and some random cheap components and just keep soldering until you're confident.

Soldering is shit easy I picked that up back in year 8 in high school and I can still solder very neatly to this day.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Cheers, I guess if I screw it up I can always just keep it permanently off. Im trying to do a few motorkhanas but im not sure that the 4WS actually does much to help in the first place but wouldn't mind keeping it working....

Member Array
    Car:
    I own an Engine
    It won't help a single bit for racing, it's all around considered useless - There's a reason why Honda dropped it all together.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    well its not like it ever will make a difference to the speed around a track but at 30kmh and less maneuverability is what motorkhana is all about

Member Array
    Car:
    I own an Engine
    Might be good to actually test it with and without the four wheel steering at the khana event.
    I've not seen any straight up comparison but everywhere I read generally has the same consensus as not worth it.

Maybe while you're fixing it add in a switch to quickly turn it on and off and let us know the difference?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    if you have a soldering iron do it yourself

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...4WS-ECU-Repair

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Cheers ECUman, I found that via the search a little while ago. Dont know if I trust my solder skills but youtube has given me a few pointers. Just went and got myself all the kit needed to do the repair from radioparts tonight. Will see how it goes next weekend when I get some time to do a repair at home.
    WRU, not sure if I will worry about a switch yet. Hand brake turns are the same whether the back wheels are turning or not so when I actually have a think about it there is no real point to fixing it anyway... haha

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    One week after a ECU resolder and no error codes.....fingers crossed I actually fixed the bugger.

Member Array
    Car:
    95 BB4 Si Vtec
    Reflowed mine too and it works fine for around 5 minutes and then comes back on,i was like "yes it's working,oh darn lights back on!" must be a sensor.
    At least i know the solder is good now,i have yet to read the code error.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish R View Post
    Reflowed mine too and it works fine for around 5 minutes and then comes back on,i was like "yes it's working,oh darn lights back on!" must be a sensor.
    At least i know the solder is good now,i have yet to read the code error.
    what codes do you get. did you do the rear actuator sensor re learn procedure when you first staterd the car when you refit the 4WS ECU ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    You know what? As soon as I read your post my 4WS light started coming on again. ECU man, I recalibrated the ECU by doing that full left turn, right turn and repeat on starting up but not resetting the rear actuator. How does one actually do that? I was getting code 62, still am for that matter.