Member Array
    Car:
    90Civic 3DHatch

Is It Possible To Replace The Drive Shaft Oil Seal Without Removing Main Axle Nut?

Is It Possible To Replace The Drive Shaft Oil Seal Without Removing Main Axle Nut?

First The Car Is A 1990 Honda Civic 3 Door Hatch With D15B4 Carby Motor and Auto 4 speed Box.

The driver side oil seal is leaking so bad that you put in 1.5 liters of oil and out comes 1.5 liters in about the same amount of time it took to put it in.

it is leaking from where the axle enters the dif

I know you can remove the main nut on the wheel end but is it possible to do it without undoing this nut.

Also same question with passenger side even though this side is not leaking (I think) but better to change it as well.

Thanks In Advance!

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Nut on the shaft at the hub? then yes. Just undo everything else from the hub, lca, tie rods, etc. Then you can pry the shafts out of the box and swing the whole thing up with the hub. But it would be fairly easy just to remove the nut with a big breaker bar.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    you could do it but you would need a 2nd person to help.
    OEM parts whore

as others have said - yes its possible. You just do the below process and pull out the driveshaft enough to clear the splines from the housing and give enough room to work

you need to replace the driveshaft seal.

So do this...

jack up car , put on stands
    drain gearbox fluid
    (on the side with leak) remove lower ball joint crown nut + split pin - pop ball joint - remove suspension fork , disconnect brake line off side of shock.
    Now use a large flathead screwdriver to pop off the driveshaft off the diff housing (drivers side) or just pull out the driveshaft (passenger side) - pull the drivers side out and around to give plenty of room to work. Passenger side is long , so you can pull out just enough to clear the diff housing OR remove the linkage and exhaust and pull the shaft down and around.
    Pop out driveshaft seal with the same flat head. Use a clean rag to clean up the inner guide of the housing - then tap in new seal.
    Now reinstall everything , put fluid back in. Retighten and good to go !
    Last edited by bennjamin; 28-07-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    90Civic 3DHatch
    I managed to get the loan of a 32 mm socket 3/4 inch drive and a ratchet to suit and I will remove the drive shaft nut and the then the lower ball joint and then pop out the axle and remove the oil seal and replace it.

no need to remove the axel nut.

I always leave it all connected and just pop the ball joint and as you lift it up and out of its seat you can pull the drive shaft out.

I normally do it by myself, but it would be easier with two people.

Member Array
    Car:
    90Civic 3DHatch

New Gearbox

New gearbox arrived at 8:30am today I will be fitting it next week and then I will be mobile Finnaly