Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]

PREVIEW of the next generation Honda Euro Drivetrain

Wonder why this didnt even made the news page.

http://paultan.org/2012/05/01/honda-...-fun-to-match/

Back in May a press release came thru with a list of "new" Honda engines that would be used in the near future (as in next gen), of them, theres this:

2.4 Liter used in the TSX/JDM/EUDM Accord, in short:
    - Same K-series block (as far as pics and specs can tell)
    - AVTEC (advanced Vtec) replaced i-vtec
    - Direct Injection
    - Stop Start
    coupled with.... wait for it...
    - CVT: Continuously Variable Transmission (at least they are getting rid of that useless 5speed auto)

Above measures netted in:
    - 5% better economy
    - 5% more power
    - 10% more torque

but.... the test drive revealed:
    the new engine has sharp response on take off, opposed to today’s “comes alive at high rpms” character. Can’t quite remember the top end feel though, no thanks to the CVT
    THERES MORE
    a CU2 was hooked up with the new 1.6 litre turbo diesel engine for the evaluation test drive
    - 120hp
    - 300nm
    - less than 100g/km CO2

The diesel evaluation car got good feedback
    This engine will make roughly 120 hp and 300 Nm of torque, but boy, it feels much better than that. Also demo-ed in an Accord Euro, but with a six-speed manual gearbox, you hear no diesel clatter in the car, and there’s no turbo lag. What’s nice is the way it revs so cleanly without any lack of breath or added vibration at high rpms.
    PS: Chasing the Germans
    There was also a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox in the evaluation car. It wasn’t conspicuous, which is a good thing to report for a DSG type ‘box.
    Last edited by wynode; 30-07-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    AVTEC huh, from memory, i-Vtec's engagement was a lot smoother than VTEC, guessing AVTEC would be even smoother still to the point where that you'ld prob not notice it. If that's true then no real point of Vtec anymore. Start Stop sounds like it'ld be annoying, although I'm surprised it took them that long to get to direct injection, and even then, gains are minimal. Hate CVTs as well, unless the car is so well sound deaden that you can't hear the road and engine noise.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    it's about time for Honda to indulge dual clutch automated manual tech ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

dsg, wtf will this cost me 30k if it breaks?!?!?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    dsg, wtf will this cost me 30k if it breaks?!?!?
    Accord euros are getting CVT. I think the dsg would be reserved for likes of Legend.... Lol
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Looks pretty exciting
    Cept CVT... Kinda uncertain about that - see how it goes
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    AVTEC huh, from memory, i-Vtec's engagement was a lot smoother than VTEC, guessing AVTEC would be even smoother still to the point where that you'ld prob not notice it. If that's true then no real point of Vtec anymore. Start Stop sounds like it'ld be annoying, although I'm surprised it took them that long to get to direct injection, and even then, gains are minimal. Hate CVTs as well, unless the car is so well sound deaden that you can't hear the road and engine noise.
    no real point? Ideally vtec would have been perfectly smooth but that wasn't possible given the technology at the time of it's invention

start stop isn't annoying, it was pretty smooth in the CRZ i drove
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

i doubt the new engine would have crazy torque levels and rev range to benefit from a DSG box

stop/starts are fail imo, if youre THAT concious about fuel economy, buy a charade...would be sooo annoying in peak hour traffic jams i reckon

the performance figures arent that significant either concidering the car is 200kgs heavier than a cl9...if they want better fuel economy why not just lighten the car?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    no real point? Ideally vtec would have been perfectly smooth but that wasn't possible given the technology at the time of it's invention

start stop isn't annoying, it was pretty smooth in the CRZ i drove
    Hybrid Start stop is different from a normal vehicle tho, because of the battery/electric motors, so the engine isnt constantly turning on and off like stop start in a normal car.

Drove an X3 once with stop start, it's kinda creepy and odd. Lets just hope Honda upgrades their starter motor like BMW does to theirs.. else there will be a whole lot of warranty claims.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 30-07-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    Yes,I remember reading all of this on Hondas website a while ago,could be pretty exciting ???

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Moved to the news section.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by kristrifo View Post
    i doubt the new engine would have crazy torque levels and rev range to benefit from a DSG box

stop/starts are fail imo, if youre THAT concious about fuel economy, buy a charade...would be sooo annoying in peak hour traffic jams i reckon

the performance figures arent that significant either concidering the car is 200kgs heavier than a cl9...if they want better fuel economy why not just lighten the car?
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Hybrid Start stop is different from a normal vehicle tho, because of the battery/electric motors, so the engine isnt constantly turning on and off like stop start in a normal car.

Drove an X3 once with stop start, it's kinda creepy and odd. Lets just hope Honda upgrades their starter motor like BMW does to theirs.. else there will be a whole lot of warranty claims.
    it's not too different. The crz can't do an electric only take off, so it's always on if the car's in gear. If you put it in 1st gear the motor starts up (very smooothly too)
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC