Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI

Hondata Coil Pack Retrofit (CPR) has anyone used????

as title asks,

has anyone used, had experience or heard any news on Hondata's newish coilpack system for the older motors (b, d, h, f???)

http://hondata.com/hondata_coil_pack_retrofit.html

any info will b great

cheers
    tom

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Haven't used it, but asked a couple of Honda mechanics about it previously because I've seen it used on Nissans a bit and the general consensus was that Honda's OEM ignition setups are really quite solid and it wasn't worth upgrading. Money best spent elsewhere apparently.

If you try it let me know, I'll be interested.

Account Disabled Array
    We seen one and tuned one. Works great, no breakup revving too 9400rpm!. With the distributor commonly to fail as there getting old, coil packs are the way to go if you have a Hondata S300. As seen on the K-series engine, the OEM coilpacks have no problems up too 700hp.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    thanks for the input guys,

i will definatly be using this setup on my freshly build dart b18...

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Haven't used it, but asked a couple of Honda mechanics about it previously because I've seen it used on Nissans a bit and the general consensus was that Honda's OEM ignition setups are really quite solid and it wasn't worth upgrading. Money best spent elsewhere apparently.

If you try it let me know, I'll be interested.

Mate, Hondas Oem Dizzy System is ****ing crap!!... haha sorry dude. Coils packs are the way to go, thus why the evolution of honda has gone that way
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

While yes coil packs are the way to go, the hondata system is shit. Its probably unfair to say that as the ECU isnt really set up for Direct Ignition so theyre working around the issue, but still.... Dont buy the COP setup, buy a proper standalone unit and get proper direct Ignition.

Id only say buy this if you already have a s300 in the car. $2k for a standalone ECU is well worth it, the flexibility is incomparable.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by Chernoby1 View Post
    While yes coil packs are the way to go, the hondata system is shit. Its probably unfair to say that as the ECU isnt really set up for Direct Ignition so theyre working around the issue, but still.... Dont buy the COP setup, buy a proper standalone unit and get proper direct Ignition.

Id only say buy this if you already have a s300 in the car. $2k for a standalone ECU is well worth it, the flexibility is incomparable.
    yes i already have a s300...
    please elaborate on why and how u find the cpr kit shit???
    many guys in the states are using them on big hp cars...

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek honda civic hatch
    if you were staying on pump fuel i wouldnt bother with cop. but maybe e85 with a ton of fuel or race fuel with a ton of fuel might need it.

my standard system has always worked without a hitch to 25psi on bp ultimate

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    I've used the CPR kit and it's good for what it is. Just need to wire it to a positive source that's strong. We had some stupid issues tapping into the +12V source off the ECU causing the unit to drop in/out of sync momentarily. The car makes more power than before where the original system was the limiting factor.

If you have the S300 already, you can't go wrong.. not worth switching to MSD (messy), or another expensive option which is just overkill.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    did you consider the aem kit? also what coils are u using?
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Can you run the AEM kit with an S300 or do you need to upgrade to their AEM system?.. I was under the impression you can't use the AEM kit without their ECU.

You can use K series coils if you really want..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    i did look at aem...
    but it wont work with hondata...
    atm.to.run my engine in on low boost im.just gonna run standard ignition system
    as i have used it in da past without any issues...
    wen i turn the boost up after run in ill install the hondata system....
    and im gonna b using evanstuning kit which comes with coil packs and the bolt on plate as well as the dizzy cap....