Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5

2 pack or acrylic??? need some opinions

i was just wondering what is actually the difference between 2 pack and acrylic? now, i have searched on google and also watch a few videos on youtube, but i still cant understand the difference. cause my mate had a lancer resprayed to red (orginal colour was also red) and he used 2 pack paint. he didnt do it himself so its not a backyard paintjob, but some parts turned a bit watery/oily. especially on the bumper. it might just be the painter that did a dodgy job. but about a week later another mate of mine got his car resprayed as well by the same guy and it was just complete coincidence that he went to same guy. but he chose acrylic and it looked better and im pretty sure he ended up paying less. so i just need a bit of clarification on this. also i heard the 2 pack paint is thinner? dont know if thats right.

i just need to know what type of paint is better cause im going to respray my bonnet boot and roof cause of paint fades. cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra R
    Acrylic is rubbish even if applied perfectly.It never really dries for want of a better description and in different temperatures it sweats through marks and chips easy and is just horrible.2pack if applied correctly has no vices.
    Advice : prepare the surface to be painted properly and remember
    ACRYLIC IS RUBBISH !

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Acrylic is rubbish even if applied perfectly.It never really dries for want of a better description and in different temperatures it sweats through marks and chips easy and is just horrible.2pack if applied correctly has no vices.
    Advice : prepare the surface to be painted properly and remember
    ACRYLIC IS RUBBISH !
    cheers will keep that in mind thinking of respraying my whole car

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    2 pack is a harder finish so rocks wont chip it as easy n that, but i hear its pretty toxic shit, u need a proper booth to paint with that stuff.

acrylic is easier though but as said its softer and more susceptible to damage. but then u could always get the paint protection vinyls if u want to stop damage.

2 pack would be easier cause you only need 1 coat (the fumes are toxic). Acrylic you need several coats and then a clear coat to make it glossy. 2 pack is stronger to scratches so id go with 2 pack, and i believe it doesnt need thinners whereas acrylic does. I DIY'd my car using acrylic paint and it turned out pretty good still strong, check out my build thread
    PARTING OUT JDM DC2R & EK
    Check out my EK build!

Member Array
    Car:
    Winfield
    2pak is better more strong and last longer

But once you use it it's there and you can't fix mistakes like acrylic

2pak is toxic so use safety gear I.e masks etc.
    Dc2r and em1 only good if you work at McDonald's, s2k good for order food in McDonald's
    deal with it m8

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    Oem honda paint is acrylic.

I had my LX Torana painted in Devil Yellow, which was 2-Pak, a lot more prep was needed, but the finish was unbelievably nice.

Very glossy, very "hard". Was a backyard job in a concrete floored shed by my pop.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    did he wear a mask or get asthma

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by gen2 CRX View Post
    interesting this.

no wonder why it gets swirls so easily
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    Quote Originally Posted by 93Integra View Post
    I had my LX Torana painted in Devil Yellow, which was 2-Pak, a lot more prep was needed, but the finish was unbelievably nice.

Very glossy, very "hard". Was a backyard job in a concrete floored shed by my pop.
    long as neighbours didnt complain abt the fumes, and proper masks were worn, thats a good example of a situation where a booth issent needed. very keen to see pics!
    However, how was the drying/hardening process? id assume without baking the yellow must of taken a long time to 100% cure.

i like using 2pack as its got a more sticky texture off the gun unlike acrylic its just runny and u gotta be a bit more careful. and the rubdown process of acrylic is the make or break in terms of quality imo. i do alot of work with acrylic paints though mind you, just easier n safer for me to use at home. dont really get the chance often to use a booth.

2pack with the buffing process issent as intensively required like acrylics, only have to really go over areas where needs corrections provided proper gun techniques are layed on. the watery/oily spots u speak off is just poor worksmanship. but always can be corrected by a genius detailer. hell ive had a friend who restored a black vti-r that had faded paint on the top of the doors n strapped for cash he managed to remove it by using 3 2 dollar spray cans of gloss black and alot of time n patience with the blending/detailing step and it came up amazing for the age of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gen2 CRX View Post
    omfg, ur not serious areyou?

i would be so shattered to find out of this is true. where'd u get ur sources from?

so thats y it was so easy to sand off the clear before painting a boot..
    Last edited by cheapdouchebag; 14-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    did he wear a mask or get asthma
    Yea, had a few masks spare after the last car he painted

Neighbours wouldn't have had a clue, it was out in the country so the nearest house was a good 30m away.
    In a tin shed, with the roller closed, in 35 degree weather, it baked quite nicely haha.

PM me your email Cheap and I'll take a few next time I'm up there for ya.