Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear box oil

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Type R EP3

Gear box oil

Just a noob question, with Hondas, i heard that when changing gearbox oil, you should use engine oil instead of gearbox oil

is this true? or is the person who told me this the noob

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Honda actually used to use engine oil in gearboxes until they got their MTF which they now use/recommend/put into car...

The change happened sometime in the 90s
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    yeah i heard the same as drew. Run the gearbox oil, it must be better otherwise why would they make it?

I have heard of some people who have gearbox prob using engine oil and it fixed their problems, but its a pot luck game
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Honda's MTF 06 gearbox oil has the same viscosity as engine oil (75w80 / 10w-30 equivalent)
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    yeah i heard the same as drew. Run the gearbox oil, it must be better otherwise why would they make it?

I have heard of some people who have gearbox prob using engine oil and it fixed their problems, but its a pot luck game
    Thats because how it was...

It wouldn't fix any problems but cover them up; they will eventually resurface
    *** How JDM am I ? ***

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post

I think (my opinion) the main reason why Honda gearboxes used engine oil back then was because they required a thinner oil than most aftermarket gearbox oils out there. Honda MTF is 75w80 (equivalent to 10w-30), while other brands including Redline sell 75w90. It's a small difference but that is my guess why Honda used 10w-30 engine oil until MTF came out.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    ^^^ What Aaron said
    *** How JDM am I ? ***

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Type R EP3
    so in an EP3 R

i should use????

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    Honda genuine Manual Transmission Fluid
    Why hello there

Quote Originally Posted by shadou View Post
    Honda genuine Manual Transmission Fluid
    You can't go wrong with that. My understanding is that Honda 'retro-recommends' their MTF for all their earlier boxes that originally specified engine oil.

I've been using one of the Motul synthetic gear oils for the last three years, and it's been very good. I immediately noticed smoother and 'slicker' shifts with the Motul oil (not that the shift was in any way bad before the oil change), but can't say whether it's any better in this respect than Honda's MTF, the oil I changed is very likely to have been engine oil.

Motul has at least two gearbox oils, I think only one is recommended for boxes with synchromesh. More $ than the MTF. I've heard nothing but good things about Redline oils (any of their oils), but christ you pay for it ($$$).
    Last edited by JohnL; 11-03-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX SiR turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    You can't go wrong with that. My understanding is that Honda 'retro-recommends' their MTF for all their earlier boxes that originally specified engine oil.

I've been using one of the Motul synthetic gear oils for the last three years, and it's been very good. I immediately noticed smoother and 'slicker' shifts with the Motul oil (not that the shift was in any way bad before the oil change), but can't say whether it's any better in this respect than Honda's MTF, the oil I changed is very likely to have been engine oil.

Motul has at least two gearbox oils, I think only one is recommended for boxes with synchromesh. More $ than the MTF. I've heard nothing but good things about Redline oils (any of their oils), but christ you pay for it ($$$).
    yeh Redline gearboxoil all the way, ive also used honda oil, but found it didnt last aslong b4 the syncro probs came back, but yeh as said.. they are alot more expensive.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ep3 Type R
    I dont know if this is the right place to post but i got a ep3 today and it has 58k on the clock clutch grabs early etc but shifting from 1st to 2nd jams alot i know u how to drive ive had a dc5r before so that aint the problem, could it be oil or syncros