Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Type R DC5

DC5R Turbo Guide

Hi Guys,

Planning on turbo for the Dc5r Audm, have basic parts like a buddy club pro spec IV catback, Injen Intake. Ive Seen a few complete turbo kits on ebay called Turbonetics etc.

The kits are about $1000-1500 max.

Firstly, Is this Kit reliable compared to a Greddy street kit ?

secondly, im all for the DIY install, So apart from that what kind of pricing would I be looking at for a tune, Some guys on this thread spent about 10-15k on turbo the DC5r , I want to know where these hidden costs come from, as far as I can tell,

Turbo kit - $1000-1200 (w intercooler & all hardware).
    Kpro - 1000-1500 max
    750 cc Injectors - 300
    So thats about 2.8k.

What else would the costs be? Is the tuning the most expensive part ? or is that a further 1k, because I dont see how tuning would be 6k.

All help appreciated.
    CW DC5R
    -Injen CAI -Buddy Club Pro Spec IV Catback
    Black Racing N1 wrapped in SUMITOMO HTR Z II + Wilwood Red Calipers, Willwood Slotted & Drilled Rotors with Wilwood Pads

14.28 @ 167 Eastern Creek

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    sum people dont use off the shelf exhaust and go custom, some also choose not to do it them self which is $$$ in labour. you also need to account for fluids and small various things that can add up and also some things dont go your way and you end up spending more then you would like.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    sum people dont use off the shelf exhaust and go custom, some also choose not to do it them self which is $$$ in labour. you also need to account for fluids and small various things that can add up and also some things dont go your way and you end up spending more then you would like.
    Thanks for that!, do you know what would be expected price range when it comes to tuning ? do you know if im looking at hundreds or thousands, also presuming the turbo fits nice, and extra few hundred dollars to account for other parts, would I still be looking at a 6-12k job, or could I finish it all off under <5k. Cheers man
    CW DC5R
    Black Racing N1 wrapped in SUMITOMO HTR Z II + Wilwood Red Calipers, Willwood Slotted & Drilled Rotors with Wilwood Pads

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    tuning can cost around the 1k mark, you can complete the turbo project under the 5k mark if everything does your way and get some good deals.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    You will also need to remember fuel pump and adjustible fuel pressure reg
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    You will also need to remember fuel pump and adjustible fuel pressure reg
    Thanks Ill be keeping that in mind !
    CW DC5R

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    tuning can cost around the 1k mark, you can complete the turbo project under the 5k mark if everything does your way and get some good deals.
    Okay awesome, thats what I was hoping for. I dont see fit spending 5k> while trying to reach my saving plans for the future.
    CW DC5R

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Are you going second hand turbo kits?

What turbo you thinking of running?
    Choke dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    Are you going second hand turbo kits?

What turbo you thinking of running?
    Hi Mate, Im thinking of either a turbonetics/Godspeed one of ebay, the kits are roughly around $1k-$1.3k, I dont really intend of building a race car, just something that will break into the low 13's or better I guess (If possible). As mentioned above Im looking to spend <5k. Personally I would go a second hand turbo if it was in that price range. Cheers mate.
    CW DC5R

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Im not too familiar with godspeed or turbonetics.

How much PSI you planning on running? Im guessing about 8-10ish with a stock motor and you want it to last.
    Choke dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    Type R DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    Im not too familiar with godspeed or turbonetics.

How much PSI you planning on running? Im guessing about 8-10ish with a stock motor and you want it to last.
    yeah roughly 8-10PSI, do not want to push it with stock internals as I dont really want to spend the money I work for on rebuilding a blown engine, Im just pretty iffy about finding a right tuner, Ive had mechanics in the past who tried to rip me off, did not do jobs properly. How long do you rekon it could take to tune a turbo ? is it a matter of hours ? or leaving the car for days.
    CW DC5R

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Anything and everything can happen when you DIY and I've seen it.

Your radiator can shit itself, you may have to fark around with intrusion bars for cooler, etc etc

You've got the spirit, just have a small buffer in case of tow trucks, radiators, pipes/manifolds cracking, etc.

It's not just turboing Hondas that it happens to, accidents and shit happening does not discriminate.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!