Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CU2

Bad Egg Exhaust from CU2 - Normal??

Hi all, been wanting to ask this for awhile.

I notice sometime under moderate to heavy acceleration, I can smell this "bad egg" exhaust coming thru the front air vents. It last like 5-10 seconds. Is this normal for the CU2?
    If it helps, my CU2 is still plagued with the engine pinging problem (which Honda Australia and dealer are not doing anything about it) and is not sure if they are related, i.e. the smell is a result of the pinging.
    I am running RON98 and car is 9 mths old.

Interestingly, I used to own a civic Type R FN2 and it generates almost the same "bad egg" exhaust smell when it's revved hard.

Is that characteristic of the famed Honda VTEC engine?

I heard about this happening in the Lexus forums as well - seems to be quite common over there. Apparently it's the catalytic converter working?

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    I don't know the answer, but I can confirm this happens with my FN2 as well. I've been told by Honda and my mechanic this is normal and is just the catalytic converter working. I hate it though

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV Luxury
    The Toyota Kluger and the Aurion do this as well (same V6 engine). I've never noticed it in my CL9.
    SPQR
    The first ever Whiteline RSB pattern for CL9 Euro.
    The world first ever after market RSB for RE4 CRV.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    stop using fuel with ethanol....

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Just a note, I'm using BP Ultimate however it annoys me enough to try all types of 98 premium for at least 2 runs in a row. Never helped so stuck with BP Ultimate. Seems like the least smelling one.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Egg smell is usually from test pipes.... ie: no cat

You guys sure your cat converter haven't seized?
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's the sulfur in the fuel reacting in the cat converter. Happens to my Commodore as well after I drive it hard.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    MY13 CU2 LUX
    Haven't noticed a sulphur smell from my CU2 yet, but have from previous cars from time to time, depending on fuel and whether they've been for a decent run or just done short trips.

It seems strange you can smell it from inside the car while driving though, most people only notice it from outside the car after turning it off or if it's left to idle. Might pay to get your exhaust checked for leaks.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by psykotech View Post
    Haven't noticed a sulphur smell from my CU2 yet, but have from previous cars from time to time, depending on fuel and whether they've been for a decent run or just done short trips.

It seems strange you can smell it from inside the car while driving though, most people only notice it from outside the car after turning it off or if it's left to idle. Might pay to get your exhaust checked for leaks.
    Most of the time i drive with the 'fresh' button engaged so that air from the outside is drawn in to the cabin.
    Not that a leak is impossible but mine is only 9 mths old. Hmm...

Psycotech have you driven your new CU2 hard yet?

Thanks guys for the response. Can only assume its the cat converter working hard for now.