Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

cigarette lighter honda civic 1998 - not working

I just came to realise that my cigarette is not working. Not sure if the previous owner disconnected it or it became faulty.

I have checked the fuse under the steering wheel compartment and the fuse seems to be ok.

Can anyone guide me on what I should do next and the possible causes and replacement costs?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Have you tested it with a multi meter. It may be fine and the thing you plug in is screwed.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    Have you tested it with a multi meter. It may be fine and the thing you plug in is screwed.
    I don't have a muti meter. However, I'm certain the GPS unit + charger is working as it has been tested on the other car.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    easiest thing plug in your gps should have a light usually on the charger if it turns on you know its working could be just the cigarette lighter thing itself is broken it happened to me that way

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4, DC2R, EE3
    Here is my Thread
    different car different age but should be the same jist

can go out to get a cheap multi meter is the best way to check what is wrong, could be the wiring itself or could be the actual cigarette lighter mechanisim.
    MY EK4 CHET ROI
    BUT MY DC2R CAME
    ARRIVE ALIVE

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    So, I've double checked the cigarette lighter this morning.

- GPS charger adapter lights up on another car (The LED indicator)
    - GPS charger DOES NOT light up on my car (The LED indicator)

What should I do next? I think testing it with the GPS adapter is pretty much the same as using a muti meter right? light = power, no light = no power~
    Last edited by Honda; 03-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Unless the cable has been tampered with i doubt there's a problem in the circuit. you sure you checked the right fuse? Also did it have the right fuse rating in it?

Try pulling the cigarette part out and checking for a broken cable extra.

Also if you really plan on modifying a car you really need a multi meter. Its the most important tester when it comes to electrical. And at Jay car they go for like $20..

if you want a cheap multimeter, look for a quality one. you will not regret it. currently using a fluke, and its the best meter ive ever used.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Coming from a electrician. if you use it once a week or so the Jay car ones are fine for Dc circuits. No need to pay 100s

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    I'll probably check the cig lighter on another date. Too much work to reassemble and assemble. What should I look for when I decide reassemble the car?
    Last edited by Honda; 03-09-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    firstly, what car, model, year, etc?

- Older civics (pre 1991) have a relay for the cigarette lighter, so taking a guess but its possible other models would have similar wiring design. does this apply to you? relay could be stuffed

- has your car been fitted with an aftermarket CD player?

- Is your car fitted with any aftermarket electronics? gauges, neons, LEDs etc?

It could be possible someone has removed the lighter console (so unplugged it) and forgot to plug it back in on installation.

If you have any of the above fitted its possible that someone has diverted the power from the lighter, hence it no longer works.

you need to provide more background

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    It is a 1998 Honda Civic Hatch Gli ek1

It has been fitted with a aftermarket CD player/Head Unit from the previous owner (cig litter wasn't working when we got it)

There are no additional electronics installed in the car

There was a plug that was unplugged, so i plugged it in (and still the cig litter wasn't working).

I had a feeling that the they probably connected the USB Head Unit and took out the cig litter but no idea.

I've took a photo of the unplugged cable- this is taken from the passenger side. Plugged or not plugged made no difference from what I can gather.
    Last edited by Honda; 03-09-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Updated Desc