Member Array
    Car:
    EG

eg power steering rack removal

just a note as i havent found it anywhere...

you can remove the rack without taking the sub frame out...

just undo the tierod ends, rack ends, rack mounts, steering column and the power steering hoses…

then jimmy it around and slip it out the top between the gearbox and the brake master
    saves a lot of effort if doing it at home..

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG8 B16A2
    Yeah. Its still a bitch of a job.

Yes it can be done while its on the car but it's still a massive PITA.

The recommended method (FSM) is to remove the left Tie rod end, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, remove all mounts and hoses then slip it out the side (not out through the top)

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    I tried to remove out the side but couldn't make it fit through and if I did I think it would have hit the garage wall
    Also doubt want to sound super dmb but what is fsm

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    drop it from the bottom, dont try and pull it up from the engine bay

Yep once u clear the subframe u can angle it down and pull it out the side.

Fsm factory service manual

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    fair enough I tried and failed... also i hope to never have to do it again

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic hatch
    I have just recently done this. If you have already done it, forgot what i am about to say

Rack ends off, steering column uni off, mounts, lines as you already mentioned above. I dropped the exhaust, mainly because i am making an new exhaust, but still required

I think i turned the pinion all the way to the drivers side, allowing the passengers side to drop. Ensure the car is jacked up high enough to angle the rack to get the drivers side out. You can also push the rack inner instead of turning the pinion but be aware of oil that will come out too.

Getting the new unit in is even more lame, if you get a reco unit, remove your rubber mount on the passengers side, it will most likely not come with a rubber mount, it will most likely have rack ends and boots too, take them off sadly. Going in is the just as difficult but also remember the dust boot surrounding the pinion goes on before fitting rack.

Getting the lines lined up and almost started before bolting it up, as the lines are stiff as and with a bit of movement helps get the lines in the holes.

Fill it up with honda p/s fluid and bleed. one bottle will be more than enough

Next time i might just try the lucas p/s stop leak...