Engine swap costs? how much to rebuild or replace an engine?

Hi guys,

I have recently been deciding whether or not to rebuild or replace the engine in my car as it is reaching 200,000km, but i have no idea how to go about it (i.e easiest way and costs etc.)
    I was wondering would anyone know the costs involved to rebuild a stock engine, or even better, how much an engine replacement costs to fit.
    My car is 1996 accord vti-s and i was looking at this engine:

http://www.kyp.com.au/kyp//index.php...=showEO&id=550

I wanted to know if this would fit my car and if so, the cost involved in fitting it. Please give any other suggestions e.g if rebuilding the stock engine might be easier or cheaper as i really have no idea how to go about this.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Heya mate
    The 90s accords are great cars
    The engine you listed is for a civic
    Honda Accords and some preludes have the F series motor that moves more litres hence f22b1
    Before you rebuild an engine, theres a couple of questions you need to ask yourself
    Why do you want to rebuild -
    Is the engine leaking oil?
    Compression problems?
    Honda engines easily go over 400,000 kms without a rebuild
    Do you want to turbo it?
    How much are you willing to spend?
    Will you be doing this or someone else?
    How long do you want to keep the car?

Theres different levels of rebuild
    From simple oil gasket changes (i.e the head gasket, main seals, cam seals, etc)
    To harder stuff like new bearings, oversized pistons, new valve seals etc. (youll need to do a bit of measuring for clearances and tolerances)
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Thanks for the info I'll consider those thoughts. The main reason I want to rebuild is because I plan on keeping this car for a while and I plan to put some money towards it and do it up a bit in the near future. I just thought maybe it wasn't worth the effort since the car is well over 100,000km. Also there is a slight oil leak which does influence my decision a little but more. Other than that the engine hasn't been giving me any problems I just wanted to make sure it will be reliable if I choose to put more money towards the car. I wanted to set a budget for $3000 but if its a little over I wouldn't mind. Any ideas on whether I should buy a second hand engine with less kms or rebuild my current one?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Before you do the engine rebuild
    Where is the oil leak coming from?
    Bottom, sides, front
    How much oil are you using a week/month?
    If its just minor i wouldnt bother with a rebuild
    What you need to do is a compression and leak down test to see if all cylinders are holding pressure
    Are you mechanically minded? Will you be doing the engine removal?
    Its a big job for a backyard mechanic
    Im about to start my engine rebuild for my non vtec engine like yours
    Youre looking at minimum $1500 for parts and they should be OEM
    Including:
    Valve cover
    Spark plug seals
    Head gasket
    Water punp
    Timing belr, accessories belts
    Engine mounts
    Bottom end kit
    Cam shaft seals
    Main seal
    Rear seal
    Balance shaft seal

And thats basic
    You can go deeper and spend more
    Or you can buy a reconditioned engine
    By the way, is your car a daily?
    Just have a hard think about this rebuild, it is a major task
    See how you go
    Get back to us

Edit: To your answer
    Problem with second hand engines is, you dont know if its been well looked after
    Unless you do a compression test and leak down test... For all you know it could be on its way to spinning a bearing, had a blown headgasket, or used as a track car...
    Dont ask the owner for log books as they can be forged and mean jack all
    Last edited by Jasemas; 06-09-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Answering questions

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Thats a lot of helpful information there thanks for that mate. Looks like I need to think about it a bit more, I might go for a compression and leak test in my next service coming up soon and see how I go. With the oil leak, I. Am not that concerned as it is very slight and I've been told by a couple mechanics its not really a big deal at all. Its a slight leak from the side but I get my fluids replaced every 5,000km with a service and so far the oil lasts between services. But nevertheless I'll get the engine checked out to see what condition its in before I make my decision. Thanks for your help
    Last edited by avtis96; 07-09-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    No worries man, glad to be of service
    Any oil leak can be a cause for concern as finding the problem of the oil leak can lead to more problems or hidden issues.
    Id recommend changing your oil every 3000 kms now and filter every 5000 kms
    And always make sure you got enough oil, i check mine every morning.
    Good luck

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by avtis96 View Post
    ... whether or not to rebuild or replace the engine in my car as it is reaching 200,000km, but i have no idea how to go about it (i.e easiest way and costs etc.)
    2K on a Honda engine is nothing. These engines are built to last if treated to regular servicing and not given a hiding with the right foot.

You can decide to rebuild the stock engine or replace it with something else, either another stock engine or a performance upgrade.

You need to have a budget but more importantly you have to decide if you want to have a service centre do it or tackle it yourself.

There are PROS & CONS for either way you go:

If you have a service centre do it you have to first find a reputable shop and then hope they do the job properly (or you buy a reconditioned engine and have it fitted)

If you do it yourself you need to know what you are doing as it's not a job for the faint-hearted. I won't go into all the details but you have to source an engine, pull yours out and put the new one in, reconnect everything and hope it works.

It can take weeks or even months, so you're car will be off the road which is not good if it's your daily.

I was wondering would anyone know the costs involved to rebuild a stock engine, or even better, how much an engine replacement costs to fit. My car is 1996 accord vti-s
    Costs to rebuild a stock engine depends on what's wrong with it but can be very expensive if you replace hardware, or even just rings, gaskets, seals, etc.

You could just buy a second-hand engine but it may be worse than your current one (or it may be A-OK)

You have a CD5 which is an excellent car for a performance upgrade, say to a H22A VTEC.

Please give any other suggestions e.g if rebuilding the stock engine might be easier or cheaper as i really have no idea how to go about this.
    You're last comment is the clincher. My advice is if you have no idea or experience then don't attempt it yourself.

Other replies have raised some pertinent questions so you have a basis on which to make a decision.

The main reason I want to rebuild is because I plan on keeping this car for a while and I plan to put some money towards it and do it up a bit in the near future.
    Given these cars can be picked up on eBay for under a grand, I think this is a false economy on your part. Is it in fantastic condition? The VTi-S has the sunroof and leather amongst other things, right? So if it is in good condition it might be a car you want to hang on to for a while. But once you start spending big dollars on it, then that is money you will never recoup. You might want to think about buying another car. Just a thought for you to consider.

I just thought maybe it wasn't worth the effort since the car is well over 100,000km.
    Again, 100,000 kms in nothing on a Honda engine. If the interior is good then you're doing OK.

Also there is a slight oil leak which does influence my decision a little but more.
    All cars of this age will either leak or burn a little oil. Burning oil is problematic as it signifies worn rings but dropping a few spots is OK. Probably needs a new seal on crank or cams depending on the leak being up high or down low. Could even be a new oil pan gasket is needed.

Other than that the engine hasn't been giving me any problems I just wanted to make sure it will be reliable if I choose to put more money towards the car.
    Then you're OK.

I wanted to set a budget for $3000 but if its a little over I wouldn't mind. Any ideas on whether I should buy a second hand engine with less kms or rebuild my current one?
    $3K will not do the job, either for a replacement (rebuilt) or second hand engine when you factor in labour costs, seals, etc. A performance upgrade will also cost more and I've seen people quote figures closer to $10K for jobs like this. So think what can you do with $10K in regard to another car.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 10-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

thanks a lot mate you've been a great help, i think i may take that advice and reconsider other options with money. the only thing is the car is well kept inside and out and i see myself as keeping this for a while which is why i had such intentions as doing it up. but now that i look at the big picture ill have to do a lot of budgeting before i decide what to do,
    thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    (.Y.)
    Maybe you should just rebuild it with performance upgrades..
    VTEC Gets You Laid!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    3k is a bit tight unless u do it yourself.
    I was told 4.5k for labour to strip and put the engine back, then Add the cost for machining parts and parts itself.

U might be able to source a cheap h22a and put it in for around 4k give or take.

200 000km isn't a lot for Honda. I had my eg3 with 270000km no problems.

Where is the oil leak? Might only need to change the rocker cover gasket only?

Rebuild engine cost much higher than a used engine to replace with your current one. You can find used engine under 1k $, rebuilt engine cost will be up to 3k. Therefore, I think u should go with replacing your engine with used engine, as you have visited some car parts dealer already, for a suggestion to make your purchase smarter take a look at this site Honda Accord 1994 Page pricing on used engine.