Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Civic Cxi 98 need mod advice

Hi guys, im new here so be nice. I currently own a civic 98 cxi model. This is my first car that is decent, I had an old falcon before. So i signed up to this site to get some advice and help with my future mods. I am not mechanic with a little knowledge and experience with cars but i do want to get into it more. So i owned the civic for 4 months now and bought it for $4.500. The car was previously owned by 2 ladies, one was in her 60s and the recent one was in her 40s. the car has been very well maintained with a full log book and has not been thrashed as what you would normally find in a civic around sydney. On the clock it has 220K and runs perfectly. But the car is not fast don't get me wrong its only a stock 1.6

So i want to get my hands dirty and do a bit of mods and i don't want to spend too much MONEY. I know what you're thinking, he wants speed but isn't willing to put money into it. Well i don't want it to beat lambos in a drag i just want it to give me something when i put my foot down and take turns without me worrying that its gonna spin out.

As well as inside i want to do some exterior upgrades too, like the lights and wheels etc..

So please give me some tips on what to put in it, i was thinking an exhaust system some new suspension, brakes and maybe an air intake. And i apologise if i posted in the wrong area. Thanks
    Last edited by Vodzr; 08-09-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    Hey,

Exterior/appearance wise, you could do:

- DIY Civic Type R-style taillights mod. I also have a thread going on here. All for around $10.

- DIY Civic Type R headlights or black housing headlights

- Swapping in a tacho into your cluster since it's a CXi and they didn't come with one. You can find tachos on GLi clusters for cheap

- Clear side markers (About $30 on eBay) to replace the amber ones

Also, I'm pretty sure your car is a 99-00 model since it's got the facelifted front end. If it's not a facelift model (96-98) you could buy facelift taillights that have clear indicators rather than amber ones. They cost around $100 give or take depending on condition. You could check your local wrecker.

- And maybe a replica lip or grill. Fitment is a hit and miss on these replica parts, but you can find a mesh-style grill for around $50-60.

- You could tint your windows - if you look around you can find people who do quality backyard jobs for under $200.

As for performance:

- A cheap used spring and shock combo for maybe a couple hundred bucks if you look in the parts for sale section for a nice drop in height.

- Some cheap eBay pod filters/parts
    Last edited by ctx; 08-09-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for that, i will certainly use those. Im pretty sure its a 98 model it could have some body kit on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodzr View Post
    Thanks for that, i will certainly use those. Im pretty sure its a 98 model it could have some body kit on it.
    Check the colour of your indicators on your taillights. They should be clear for a facelift. Could you check the build date just to be 100%? It's not a big difference, but if you're buying fenders, hood, bumper, lips and headlights they are completely different for preface and facelift models and non-compatible with each other (unless you do a complete front end swap, but that's different).

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Does it say 'Built in 98' or is it rego'd in 98?

Yeah the indicators are amber and its 98 100%. So im really keen on doing the cluster change. But not sure if to go with the gli or ek4

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    Yeah the indicators are amber and its 98 100%. So im really keen on doing the cluster change. But not sure if to go with the gli or ek4
    Edit: Probably some wierd factory combo of a facelift model with preface tails.

Go for a GLi tacho swap. It's cheaper (and probably easier to find) and the only difference between GLi and EK4 tachos is the redline goes up to 9k on the EK4 whereas it goes to 8k on the GLi. I think it *might* be a different colour too on the EK4 but not sure.
    Last edited by ctx; 08-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.

lol i just went to check to engine plate build date AUG 98 EK1 so someone must of put that facelift on? weird. yeah as for the cluster i like the ek4 and the ek9 is really nice too but as you said the red line would be different

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    lol i just went to check to engine plate build date AUG 98 EK1 so someone must of put that facelift on? weird. yeah as for the cluster i like the ek4 and the ek9 is really nice too but as you said the red line would be different
    The different redlines on the EK4 and EK1 is a subtle one. You can clearly tell EK9 ones. But if you're on a budget an EK1 GLi cluster is the way to go

Also, just a thought, and some people do this, you could spray paint your emblems black with some plastidip. It's cheap and some people like it. Then you can just re-apply the emblem using some 3M tape and a hairdryer. It's a very simple and very cheap mod. I did it myself last weekend except I replaced my rear H emblem with a gold-coloured piece.

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    Engine is 1.6 not 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by FAITHLESS View Post
    Engine is 1.6 not 1.5.
    Edited

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    then it is known as an 1999 cause thats it's first rego'd date. My civic was build in 1997 but known as an 1998. Meaning your car isnt facelifted, thats factory