Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude

H22Z1 5th Gen 99' Factory Engine

Hey Guys
    I wanna know everything about the H22z1 5th gen Engine

Heard it has more power than the H22A4.. Just wondering how much ?
    and if there are any other differences with the lude's which came with this engine interms of gear ratio suspension etc torque , redline or vtec rpm

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    they're identical engines.

Some say they were spares for the h22a4's that honda produced, and after a while started putting them into the later model preludes

Same gearbox, same suspension, same everything
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Nah because i came across this post on honda.tech.com
    "Yeh, again, a long time since anyone posted on this question, but thought it deserved further clarification, myself being an Ozzie and owning a VTi-R (BB6 Frame) 2.2L 1999 Prelude here in Australia.

Vtec-shadowwolf's answer is the closest to being correct regarding the H22Z1 engine. It certainly was the factory standard engine which came with the racier 'R' Type (VTi-R) only ever exported to Australia. It was definitely not any kind of a replacement engine or such nonsense, as has been suggested by some. It was Prelude's topline engine, equivalent to the 'S' Type driven in Japan.

The H22Z1 engine is only found in the Australian delivered models from 1999 - 2001 and is identical to the H22A4, except for hp. The H22A4 is found in earlier models delivered to Canada, US and Australia. I think in the 1997-98 SH models.

The H22Z1 had a red valve cover and the H22A4 had a black valve cover. The performance differences between the less powerful H22A4 and the more powerful H22Z1 are as follows:-

Max power: 197hp compared to 220 hp
    Redline: 7200 compared to 7600 rpm
    Rev Cut: 7400 compared to 8000 rpm

It was only ever fitted to the top of the line, fully optioned ATTS model; all have black leather trim, sunroof, 5 spoked mags, 5 speed manual - (best manual box I have ever driven) and chasis is some millimetres lower, (factory standard), than the same year models in the 4 speed auto's and the earlier manuals.

A truly magic car to drive and the quickest of all of the Preludes ever made. Superb handling with the ATTS and a few other suspension differences. If you have one keep it forever - will become a classic - are not all that many around."

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    They also say that Honda would replace the H22A4 block with this one while under warranty.

But as far as im aware curtis is correct there exactly the same there maybe 4kw extra but unsure. Im pretty sure Atts Preludes which were produced after 1998 got the H22z1, leather seats, red top and honeycomb grill.

Give these a read:
    http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...highlight=h22z
    http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...ighlight=h22z1

Jump on PA (Prelude Australia) and ask, someone will help you out there