Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH

Thinking of buying 1993, 1994 Honda Prelude, need tips/ help

I am thinking of buying a 1993 or 1994 Honda Prelude for everyday use (120kms per day)

What are the common problems with Preludes? (rust in sunroof/ leaks, are there any electric problems)

Wherebouts where they start to rust

How it goes with fuel wise

Comfy to ride in?

I have no idea with Preludes and wouldnt mind to own one while my Civic is gonna be my weekend/ fun car to drive around and race in

Cheers

I used my honda doing 100kms + a day for almost 6 months and nothing ever happened to it, it is a honda and it can handle it.

Hondas are built to last and most will make it past the 200k mark and even the 300k like mine, it also depends on previous drivers and how they drove it as im sure you'd know, the main problem in my eyes that you should be weary of is the transmission my gearbox just gave way and I got it fully rebuilt (although this was at 310 000kms) but they have been known to go well below this, make sure it has a log book and check its regular service dates.

As you are looking at 4th gens, clutches dont seem to last alot of 100k same with the timing belt, my break calipers and rotors have had some problems as well.

Mine has started to rust around the edges of the windows near the seals, not so much the sunroof for me but I have seen some pretty bad rust on some other preludes in that area and the area is prone to rusting for obvious reasons, rusting on the fenders below the rubber moulding is also common.

As for fuel economy I can easily get over 10ks to the litre depending on how im driving, I fill up once about every 1.5 weeks and thats driving everyday in urban areas, if your doing 120kms plus a day your basically looking at $20 a day on fuel.

Preludes are comfy to ride in if you like being close to the ground, I am over 6 foot and it can get quite cramped but overall im fine with it, if you are tall it might take some getting used to.

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    I might as well look for a prelude that was owned by an Old man who decided he rather a FWD Sports Car than something else or find a Prelude thats been rebuild or replaced, and how come the clutch, timing belt and breaks dont last? not build in a right way?

And i was expecting around underneath the guards, and around the windows, but wasnt sure if theres like a serect rust hiding spot like behind the bonnet hinges towards the firewall (i.e. I seen a couple of Falcons with those issues cause people dont clean there)

And thats a fair bit of drinking of $20 a day. But mine is mostly doing 110kph on a country road, so i maybe $15 to $17 a day.

And yeah I aint the tallest guy in the world haha, but my best friend whos 6 foot 8 haha, and hes only 19, taller than his 27yearold brother haha

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg nugget + z33
    im sick of my 4th gen. you can have it for 2g

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Try....and try really really hard to get a JDM prelude without the 4WS and the sunroof. Both seems to cause more problems than they are worth. Also make sure you get yourself a Vtec the Si models are a bit of a let down to drive....

Otherwise love my Vtir its done 220000 and I got it with a complete log book. No clutch or gearbox issues and major servicing done as well so I am pretty happy with it. Just that pesky 4WS light constantly on

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    i saw one the other day and didnt know that the prelude comes in vtiR. what the difference?
    what gets wet ...while its drying?

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    The Vtir is the Australian 2.2L h22a1 Vtec model, comes with 4WS and sunroof and has 190hp
    the Si or SRS is the Australian 2.3L h23 also with 4WS and sunroof and only 160hp.
    the Si Vtec model was the Japanese domestic model. Buyers had the option of 4ws and sunroof and alot of them didn't have it. It has the H22a and has 200hp from a 2.2L
    I have owned both the Vtir and the Vtec models. Mine had no 4ws and no sunroof. Seems like it was much lighter and nimble, much much prefer the JDM vtec model
    Last edited by RussBurger; 19-09-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    thanks!
    what gets wet ...while its drying?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    pix??
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBurger View Post
    The Vtir is the Australian 2.2L h22a1 Vtec model, comes with 4WS and sunroof and has 190hp
    the Si or SRS is the Australian 2.3L h23 also with 4WS and sunroof and only 160hp.
    the Si Vtec model was the Japanese domestic model. Buyers had the option of 4ws and sunroof and alot of them didn't have it. It has the H22a and has 200hp from a 2.2L
    I have owned both the Vtir and the Vtec models. Mine had no 4ws and no sunroof. Seems like it was much lighter and nimble, much much prefer the JDM vtec model
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    I have not got any uploaded but I do have a couple of vids on youtube.
    this is a motorkhana in VIC driving my Vti-r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRfTXQ6OvY&feature=plcp
    this is a sprint using the Vtec bb4 in NZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk2OZ...feature=relmfu

The sprint was before I had any exhaust mods and just a pod filter intake.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Mates has a 92 lude
    Is an Si and with a H23
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBurger View Post
    Try....and try really really hard to get a JDM prelude without the 4WS and the sunroof. Both seems to cause more problems than they are worth. Also make sure you get yourself a Vtec the Si models are a bit of a let down to drive....

Otherwise love my Vtir its done 220000 and I got it with a complete log book. No clutch or gearbox issues and major servicing done as well so I am pretty happy with it. Just that pesky 4WS light constantly on
    Goes without saying, but pick up a manual rather than that horrible auto transmission.