Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH

I was racing today and noticed my Throttle was very sluggish...

I was racing Motorkhana (tarmac) today and noticed my Throttle was very sluggish

My first thoughts are I didint had my pod filter on cause it a little dusty in the air, so I just had my standard air box in. What is happening is where starting off at the start line it was all ok, but when i am revsering into this box 'the garage' and staight away back in 1st (manual) and it wasnt pulling, like the car took a second to notice that i was pulling out of the 'garage; fast, like it didint feel like pulling out.

What would your thought about this? I need to tighten the throttle cabel if its possible, modify the air box so it almost acts like a pod filter... hard to explain even though it already acts like a pod filter, but not enough sucktion, or just chuck the pod filter back on next time..

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    what car and motor?

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    1998 Honda Civic CXi Hatch.

D16Y8 (1.6L incase a person or two doesnt know what it is) and Manual gearbox, both with 178xxxkms. Forgot to mention that bit

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    possibly sufferd from fuel surge as u reversed then went forward the fuel may have been thrown out of the surge tray causing a momentary lack of fuel what was ur fuel gauge reading?
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    should not be, i had 3/4 full, unless that was enough to get away from the sender unit it may well be, cause I was going pretty quick into it, and felt the gravity taking over

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    I'm also thinking fuel being slammed about.

If you can give us more detail as to what exactly it did, that may help out... Saying it took a second to pull, then didn't pull very hard makes me think clutch, but I dunno. More info/ better description may help

Banned Array
    Car:
    NondaRalliJuzz
    i would agree that your clutch is on its way... might need replacing.. the fuel surge would have nothing to do with it

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Fuel surge wtf..

Get a friend to stand on your gas pedal and floor it (engine off obviously) and see if your throttle butterfly is actually wide open, if not, tighten your cable till it gets wot but dont overtighten or next time u 'race' u might stomp on it and snap.

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    I never changed the clutch yet on it, i got it 134,xxxkms now its 179,xxxkms and I can hear the trust bearing needs replacing but still good to drive around, and I did noticed my clutch pedal has gotten a little more sluggish from when I first bought it. Damn, I was hoping I could get all of my suspenison, breaks done then buy a Vtec engine/ gearbox, so that way my orignal gearbox is out, and I would replace it (if I can still make money on it without losing it) and sell it and get as much money back from it. And I will check that this weekend or the one after with the butterfly, but it have to be the clutch. Sad Face!

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by VT3C View Post
    Fuel surge wtf..

Get a friend to stand on your gas pedal and floor it (engine off obviously) and see if your throttle butterfly is actually wide open, if not, tighten your cable till it gets wot but dont overtighten or next time u 'race' u might stomp on it and snap.
    Yeah fuel surge its possible that the inertia will throw the fuel out of the tray obvious have pulled enough Gs to whitness this his ingnition timming may be retarded to and the engine pings under snap throttle loose throttle cable will be noticable unconditionably and a sliping clutch heed complain that the car revved but didnt move as a slipping clutch would do
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    All I can say is that I like to be comepetive in motorkhana, which I am, (this run excluding the 'Specials' I was the fastest outright) and the car did gotten more Gs than usual but I dont know, I got to look at it when I get the time