Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]

Alternative PS fluid? Penrite HPSO (Honda Power Steering Oil)

Today I was browsing Penrites website looking at a Bach of new oils they introduced this month.

Then I bumped into this thing.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...r_steering_oil)

Specifically designed for Hondas due to our "special" seals in our ps unit, I know how paranoid we Honda owner get with certain fluids. This Penrite is a full synthetic fluid at less or equal to Honda pricings, which is what intrigues me.

Anyone here used it before?
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Well spotted mate. This is especially timely.

I always bought Honda Power Steering fluid from Damelian's at Leichhardt because it was convenient (on the way home) and reasonably priced (around $10-$12 a litre container).

However with Damelian's going bust the only alternative was an inconvenient trip to Rydalmere to Trivett's where I last bought HPS fluid at over twice that price. I was a bit taken aback at the price hike so this new Penrite product will definitely get a trial especially as I can buy it just up the road at SuperCheap Auto.

Thanks,

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

The only people that can dismiss this fluid as "to suit Honda special seals" would be the servicing departments at Honda or the warranty departments. Last time I spoke to a spare parts bloke at Honda he said to use only Honda power steering fluid.
    Other fluids used in Hondas CAN be swapped and recognised in a maintenance schedule.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    The only people that can dismiss this fluid as "to suit Honda special seals" would be the servicing departments at Honda or the warranty departments. Last time I spoke to a spare parts bloke at Honda he said to use only Honda power steering fluid.
    Other fluids used in Hondas CAN be swapped and recognised in a maintenance schedule.

There are two issues here?

1. Does using non-compliant Power Steering fluid damage your car's power steering system?

We have been educated to believe/understand that using non-compliant fluids can damage the seals and/or components in the Honda power steering system. This has never really been a problem since HPSF has always been reasonably priced to ensure we all used it. But now I find that the cost of the HPSF has more than doubled - why? It does look different pouring from the container so maybe they've tweaked the formula. Who knows!

If Penrite have released a product that they claim is HPSF compliant then it would be safe to assume that they have rigourously tested it and found it to be good on seals/components. To not do so would leave them open to litigation especially in the US, both for making the "claim" and if the system failed and there was an accident attributed to the Penrite product.

So I would say that the new fluid is OK to use as a replacement for OEM HPSF but everyone has to make their own decision.

The Penrite website specifically states

Customer Benefits
    • Reduces power steering noise.
    • Extends seal and hose life.
    • Good low temperature fluidity.
    • Protects against rust and corrosion.
    • Reduces leakages.
    • Correct viscosity for Honda units.
    • Compatible with OEM fluid.

The last two points are most important.

2. Warranty issues.

If your car is still under warranty then more than likely you get it serviced at Honda, and they would use OEM HPSF. All good.

If your car is no longer under warranty and you don't get it serviced at Honda or you do your own servicing, then there is no issue. You have to make a decision based on price, availability and ease of purchase. The question of whether Penrite has a viable product is neither here nor there. You either buy/try it, or you stick with OEM HPSF.

As far as price goes, it's not listed on the SCA web store but it may be on the shelf so I can't confirm the price. If it's in the OEM ballpark then I would say most would stick to OEM for peace of mind, but if it's cheaper and combine that with greater accessibility, I'd certainly give it a try.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 04-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    it has been around for a while, I purchased it in late 2010.

i would stick to OEM honda because it is more expensive than the OEM stuff.....
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    oem jdm is best
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    well it IS a synthetic fluid, if anything it should have better properties than the OEM.

In regards to Honda dealer know best, I have a story:

Some of you may know I have a thread about Honda automatic transmissions, until recently I was under the understanding that there is only an internal filter that cant really be replaced for the K24 euro, which is what Honda dealers been telling all the owners.

Only that it isn't true, there IS an inline filter, it sit on top of transmission, I even got the part number.

It wasnt' until I showed the dealer the part number AND showed them under the hood did they yield, then they tried to say it's not serviceable.... while giving me a quote for replacement.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    well it IS a synthetic fluid, if anything it should have better properties than the OEM.

In regards to Honda dealer know best, I have a story:

Some of you may know I have a thread about Honda automatic transmissions, until recently I was under the understanding that there is only an internal filter that cant really be replaced for the K24 euro, which is what Honda dealers been telling all the owners.

Only that it isn't true, there IS an inline filter, it sit on top of transmission, I even got the part number.

It wasnt' until I showed the dealer the part number AND showed them under the hood did they yield, then they tried to say it's not serviceable.... while giving me a quote for replacement.

a different story.All im saying is I agree , when it comes to power steering fluid (if applicable) - genuine honda fluid should be used for piece of mind / warranty keeping.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Has anyone ever come across data or test results which specifically show how non OEM fluid damages seals? Is it possible that Honda just says "MUST USE OEM"

Could it be a scare tactic....

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    Has anyone ever come across data or test results which specifically show how non OEM fluid damages seals?
    HPSF used to be a mineral oil based power steering fluid but from looking at my last batch pour it's very clear which leads me to believe it's synthetic. Certainly the Penrite stuff is advertised as synthetic and they claim it's not only compatible but imply you can safely mix it with OEM.

One site I reviewed suggested ...

"Its all about lubricating the seals in the pump, that the specific compound of the rubber seals requires that they be kept pliable."

My question: given that Penrite have probably "reverse engineered" the HPSF product, they may have used the same ingredients or very similar.

Another site suggests it has to with the requirements of the rack and pinion, the additives in HPSF lubricate the joints.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 06-10-2012 at 06:00 AM.

What's the bet Peter - that even if the Penrite is 100% the same product , (if you use this product) a honda dealer will still try and squirm their way out of a warranty job or recall relative to the ps rack !

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    What's the bet Peter - that even if the Penrite is 100% the same product , (if you use this product) a honda dealer will still try and squirm their way out of a warranty job or recall relative to the ps rack !
    and that is the company's problem not the product.

this kind of peace of mind is like being held hostage... not exactly kosher