Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

BTCC & WTCC 2012/VTEC Challenge/Civic Cup

In the BTCC the season is drawing to a close with quite a few teams vying for the title. Team Honda (Shedden/Neal) are the team to beat but Team MG (Plato) is charging hard, he just needs a bit of luck and not be taken off by also-rans.

Team Pirtek (Jordan) is also up there in his Honda.

In the WTCC I read that the New Civic is being tested by Monteiro and Tarquini, ready for next year. Monteiro will drive a car in the Asian leg of the series so that should be something to see. Tarquini is still in the Seat team so he cannot drive the car in competition until 2013.

All in all in should be an interesting 2013 for Honda.

In other news, both the Civic Cup and VTEC Challenge are going strong in the UK, with larger fields at recent events.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    i wish we could get local races like that here in Aus.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Account Disabled Array
    Honda Cup in OZ? one day...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Honda Cup in OZ? one day...
    If the Hyundai Excel boys can organise races I can't see why we couldn't organise something similar to VTEC Challenge with different classes based on performance/mods (like the HondaNationals). I have made some enquiries to the VTEC Challenge organisers and the Buddy Club Civic Cup but I think the latter is a little too restrictive (to just Civics).

We need something that gives everyone a chance to race, a little less intense than IPRA (not that that is a bad series; quite the contrary).

You still have to have licencing (CAMS), full safety gear (rollcage, suit, gloves, helmet,etc) and car scutineering, all of which costs money, then entry fees and circuits willing to give you tracktime.

Many don't want to go to that extreme (esp. putting rollcage in their car) and that is always going to be the obstacle.

Still, we can dream.

Peter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    I have the Sporting & Technical Regulations for a number of club-level race series (Excel Cup, VTEC Challenge, Civic Cup, IPRA, CAMS sanctioned and AASA sanctioned, including licencing.)

I am also in contact with CAMS and AASA regarding basic information about setting up a series.

If anyone is interested, you can contact me here via PM in the first instance.

Getting a Series up and running is no easy task, and may be close to near impossible but a bit of time and effort expended exploring the possibilities can't go astray.

Peter

If I read the Buddyclub Civic Cup correctly from last time, weren't all cars already race ready packages to be purchased from Buddyclub? Or am I thinking of something else?

Anyway getting a series running in Australia would be interesting though perhaps State based maybe easier logistically and financially then a national cup?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    If I read the Buddyclub Civic Cup correctly from last time, weren't all cars already race ready packages to be purchased from Buddyclub? Or am I thinking of something else?
    No you're right (sort of). You can build your own car but you have to abide by all the regulations (that specific Buddy Club products in key areas). To start the Series off, several cars were built and sold to competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Anyway getting a series running in Australia would be interesting though perhaps State based maybe easier logistically and financially then a national cup?
    Definitely a State-based Series, not National. In fact, along the lines of the Excel Cup, all races are held at the same track (in Queensland). Here I would think Wakefield Park as SMP would be too expensive.

Thanks for your comments.

Peter

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic '92 hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    I have the Sporting & Technical Regulations for a number of club-level race series (Excel Cup, VTEC Challenge, Civic Cup, IPRA, CAMS sanctioned and AASA sanctioned, including licencing.)

I am also in contact with CAMS and AASA regarding basic information about setting up a series.

If anyone is interested, you can contact me here via PM in the first instance.

Getting a Series up and running is no easy task, and may be close to near impossible but a bit of time and effort expended exploring the possibilities can't go astray.

Peter
    Man that'd be awesome I'd be down in a few years when I'll be able to fund my racing (hopefully)

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Unfortunately the Honda "scene" here in NSW (and probably Australia wide) is such that a series like the one I've been following in the UK (VTEC Challenge) will most likely never happen. I am buoyed by the fact that series like this happen in SE Asia, and that Hondas have featured strongly in Japan and Hong Kong events over the years. But I doubt there are enough interested parties willing to commit to such a series, and for it to be viable you need a strong field, sponsorship and ongoing logistics. But who knows.

Peter

Sponsorship - I guess start off with the official/big distributors/dealers of Honda tuning parts like J's Racing [JDMConcept?], Buddyclub, Spoon, etc see if they want to jump in? Then after that

Competitors - Mix of pros/workshops and privateers with some sort of regulations like say N1/N2 for example? Which should keep cost and competition controlled and within reach of most? Or Perhaps something like GT300/GT500 that allows two classes?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Account Disabled Array
    How many Honda car's do you need to make it a viable series?

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    any chassis with stock B18, IHE, Coilovers, 16 Rims, control R compound tyre, CAMS Cage.

makes it easy for every one and not over the top spending.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1