Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R

Bad Headlight Lens Advice

Hi guys,
    A while ago my car took some front-end damage and I was forced to source some replacement parts very quickly. I got a pair of headlights from a fellow OzHonda member, however they're not in great condition. I would have shopped around a bit more but I didn't have the time.
    Anyway, here is the picture of my lense.

(Also pictured: me and my Galaxy S3).

Is it possible to fix such damage, or am I better off getting an expensive replacement. I don't suppose any places sell just a lens replacement? What is my best option?
    The car is a pre-facelift Integra DC2, by the way.

TL: DR: What do?
    Thanks guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Pic doesn't work. I'm assuming it's just headlight yellowing? Sand it back and polish it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Banned Array
    Car:
    NondaRalliJuzz
    as per curtis.. its only scuff marks... sand it back and polish it.. it will be sweet no need to pay for a replacement..

all the best

regards,
    Ryan

Buddy, try what Curtis/Ryan suggested, a small percentage will come out good for a long time however if its anything like the AE111s I've worked on, you have to keep repeating the process every 3-4mths depending how agitated you get over the crappy looks. Basically the outer coating on the plastic lens wears off, just like clear coat on your painted panels and it oxidises/fade in the case of paint.

When you do it once or twice, then see if you feel its worth it for a replacement or not =)
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Go to supercheapauto or repco and buy headlight restorer kit
    Works wonders with my headlights

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Oh the link doesn't work? Here's the direct link. Sorry if the image doesn't automatically resize.

I did think about using a restoration kit. but looking at how bad the lense looks, I wasn't sure if it'd actually help. But if you guys think it will help somewhat then I'll try it. Thanks for the quick responses.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    It will help as the kit is essentially some sand paper, polish, and depending on the kit, some clear coat. As you would know, with sand paper, you will be taking off as much as you want (time + effort). Just keep sanding until it is smooth to touch then start polishing. While you're at it, consider sanding off the markings as it will give you a much cleaner look (though leaving the circle towards the middle isn't a bad idea as if you get the professionally leveled, they will use it as the 'focus' point. Not necessary though).

I recommend getting a kit that includes the clear coat (often called the 'protection coat' - Same crap) as this will prevent you having to do it every few months. You can make your own kit to save money by buying some 400 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit and 2000 grit (feel free to skip some of these steps however I'm a bit OCD. I even start with the 800 grit even though it takes longer I prefer to be safe), and some plastic clear coat. Everything can be found at bunnings.

Good luck and post up your results! Even if you ended up just buying some. Really though, it's honestly not much work at all. Get a mate to hang out with or listen to some music. Will be done before you know it!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Thanks for the great tip there androo. I actually had my headlights professionally aligned today by a mate who's an apprentice mechanic. Free haha. I'll go over to SuperCheapAuto and pick up a restoration kit and post back with how it goes. Uni exams are next week but who cars, I'll probably do it on Friday and put in as much time and effort as I need. Thanks again.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    my ek had that on one of its head lights when i got it, i just wet sanded from 1200-1500-2000 grit with a soft block then polished with meguiars plastx then waxed it
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    my ek had that on one of its head lights when i got it, i just wet sanded from 1200-1500-2000 grit with a soft block then polished with meguiars plastx then waxed it
    That's great to hear. Makes me feel a little more confident about it haha. By the way, does anybody know what may have caused such damage? It looks pretty bad, but I bought them like this so I didn't cause the damage.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    If the DIY kit doesn't help, hit up Headlights Plus in Moorabbin. Bloke there does great work on restoring headlights.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Id use a fine polish or swirl remover polish!