Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Can exceptions be made for the ground ckerance thing?

One of my exhaust flanges is ~95mm at stock height... I dont think my shocks are long enough to keep it above 80mm :/
    Makes it difficult for any b-series car to lower the engine as the exhaust wraps under the sump.
    Heck even cars that came out with b16a's would struggle to run b18c type headers and keep a reasonable ride height.

Im not familiar with production car based regs but would 50mm be out of the question? Do the tracks have limits for that?

Edit:
    14.8 exhaust limit of 95db is fine, but what happens in the case that the intake is louder? (As is the case for me now (

14.10 would rule my car out anyway. No ITBs permitted?
    Last edited by Chernoby1; 25-12-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Chernoby1 View Post
    Can exceptions be made for the ground clearance thing?

One of my exhaust flanges is ~95mm at stock height... I don't think my shocks are long enough to keep it above 80mm :/
    Makes it difficult for any b-series car to lower the engine as the exhaust wraps under the sump.
    Heck even cars that came out with b16a's would struggle to run b18c type headers and keep a reasonable ride height.

I'm not familiar with production car based regs but would 50mm be out of the question? Do the tracks have limits for that?

Edit:
    14.8 exhaust limit of 95db is fine, but what happens in the case that the intake is louder? (As is the case for me now (

14.10 would rule my car out anyway. No ITBs permitted?
    We would not exclude you just because of the clearance issue, especially if there a lot of other people in the same situation. I'm probably going to be caught out by that too!

We would agree by consensus that that particular rule might be put aside temporarily or permanently.

Both AASA and CAMS only require that the exhaust be limited to <95dB.

14.10. You'd have to swap back to the OEM manifold yes but if you just wanted to run (not score points, etc) then you would be allowed to do so under the special provision of 4.4.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

IPRA runs a 100mm ground clearance limit, and there are several extremely fast B series Hondas running (some U2L Lap record holders, in fact) so obviously B series can be made to work, even with a 100mm ground clearance. I thought that 80mm was a gift.

Is the exhaust noise measured using the static noise test, or using noise meters around the track?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    IPRA runs a 100mm ground clearance limit, and there are several extremely fast B series Hondas running (some U2L Lap record holders, in fact) so obviously B series can be made to work, even with a 100mm ground clearance. I thought that 80mm was a gift.

Is the exhaust noise measured using the static noise test, or using noise meters around the track?
    As for ground clearance we will play it as it comes. We would rather INCLUDE a competitor rather than EXCLUDE!

Exhaust noise is measured at a single point, at a certain standard distance from the track. For years competitors have played with exhaust location. some have it on the left; some on the right, others straight out the back. It really doesn't matter as the meter functions specifically to pick up 'ambient' noise. This is so as many have often complained about the noise of a rotary engine NOT setting off the meter yet cars that seem a lot quieter do.

Peter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Here's the rule from the 2014 CAMS Manual

---------

NOISE: The Organiser shall have the necessary noise measuring devices in place, and they shall be in operation throughout the entirety of a race meeting.
    In order to assist Competitors, after each practice and qualifying session, each Driver of an automobile which records sound levels of between 93 and 95dB(A) must be so advised by the Organiser.
    Each automobile which records in excess of 95 dB(A) at any time may be removed from the circuit and not permitted to resume practice or racing until the Organiser is satisfied that the problem has been rectified.
    At each race meeting, at least one official must be nominated Judge of Fact (noise level) and his name
    included in the regulations for the meeting.

---------

Peter

I'm not used to production car racing of any sort so i may be a tad oblivious lol. Last 'car' we ran had less than an inch of clearance from the ground and one of our competitors was scrubbing his front wing on every corner.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    Here's the rule from the 2014 CAMS Manual

---------

NOISE: The Organiser shall have the necessary noise measuring devices in place, and they shall be in operation throughout the entirety of a race meeting.
    In order to assist Competitors, after each practice and qualifying session, each Driver of an automobile which records sound levels of between 93 and 95dB(A) must be so advised by the Organiser.
    Each automobile which records in excess of 95 dB(A) at any time may be removed from the circuit and not permitted to resume practice or racing until the Organiser is satisfied that the problem has been rectified.
    At each race meeting, at least one official must be nominated Judge of Fact (noise level) and his name
    included in the regulations for the meeting.

---------

Peter
    Makes sense.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    UPDATED

anyone considering competing needs to be aware of some clarifications included in this 1.3 update.

Technical Regulations v1.3 download:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslljrb/documents/Honda13.pdf

Peter

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    PM sent

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    UPDATED

anyone considering competing needs to be aware of some clarifications included in this 1.3 update.

Technical Regulations v1.3 download:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslljrb/documents/Honda13.pdf

Peter
    Good stuff I like the cyl head and intake manifold rules ALOT.
    The life of a 4 stroke engine
    It sucks it squeezes it bangs it blows

Hey Peter

Sorry to bang on about the pedal box rule, but I just realised that the pedal box I have sitting all boxed up on the shelf is a top mount kit (always assumed it was floor mount - I need to pay more attention!!). Are aftermarket top mount pedal boxes permitted? (My reading of the rules says "yes" but would prefer to confirm first). I believe that the box is IPRA compatible, so I can get away with using it. Was planning on a brake upgrade, including new 1" M/Cyl, but the pedal box might be the best option for me, since it's all sitting there already (nice and shiny and new).

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Are aftermarket top mount pedal boxes permitted? (My reading of the rules says "yes" but would prefer to confirm first).
    No problem. All OK as you are maintaining the position (and orientation).

Peter

I know this is a bit late, but re the exhaust height: IPRA regs are written so that the min height is 100mm, excluding the exhaust. Meaning that the exhaust may be any height.