Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH

Cheap moditifications to go faster? D16Y8 EK1 Civic

I have a big hillclimb race in 3 weeks time, so far I have done to my civic-
    Front and rear upper strut braces
    16'' Wheels with used road tyres
    proper racing oil and decent oil filter (green hamp filter)
    pod filter (only used for racing as it is a little warn)
    Taken part or half of the exhuast off

When i get my money back, I am getting-
    set of Koni Sports struts (maybe if i have enough- and Ground Control coilovers)
    new spark plugs and 6 or 7 core racing leads

What else can help me can go faster at the top of the hill?

Brakes and rotors are good, clutch is still good (i wont buy a lighten flywheel until the clutch is close to dead), hand break still good (due to a hairpin at the top hehehe! ), I am not allowed to take more than 50% i believe of the interior off due to class regualtions (I am in 0cc-2000cc road regsitable).

I maybe taking it a bit too far but my memo is Life is short, RACE HARD!

get a ASR + REAR ek9 swaybar.

best mod you can do buck bang for buck

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    after market rear sway bar, some good linkages and bushers.

maybe some headers? decent ones around 400-500
    B-serious m8

Member Array
    Car:
    EG,DC2R,Euro
    I have a brand new ek beaks bar if your interested

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.113785,150.802257

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    What road tyres are you using? I would recommend a set of Toyo R1R or Advan AD08 before putting sway bars etc otherwise you will not be maximising your suspension upgrades
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    What road tyres are you using? I would recommend a set of Toyo R1R or Advan AD08 before putting sway bars etc otherwise you will not be maximising your suspension upgrades

Those tyres semis ? I need some tyres good for road and here an there track days ..
    B-serious m8

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    They are street semi's. If you are looking at a performance street tyres, I would recommend Toyo T1 Sport or Dunlop SP Sport
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    short ram intake with cold air supply,fuel pressure reg adjust ur timming to benefit your torque range and a proper wheel alighnment cheepest bang for buck mods try running smaller wheels as it will benefit ur final drive allowing you to put ur power down quicker
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Change your fuel filter.
    Put in a fresh set of spark plugs. Just regular NGK ones will do, should be about 8 bucks a plug.
    Change leads, dont worry about "6 or 7 core racing leads". Just regular NGK or Champion, or Topgun leads will do fine. Its not a 1500hp drag motor.
    Run 100 octane, plus an octane booster.
    Remove rear seats.
    If the pod filter is just mounted where the airbox would go, get rid of it. Its just gonna suck up hot air. Get some plastic 3" pipe and run it from the throttle body down all the way to behind the front bar/infront of the front wheel. Either run the pod filter there, or dont run one at all, just stretch a stocking over it so that it doesnt suck up leaves etc.
    Bleed the brakes, make sure your pedal feel is good.
    Get a wheel alignment.

Most of this general maintenance stuff will help out a bit, as well as making sure you dont blow it up.

As for actual mods, how much money have you got to play with, because "cheap" can mean different things to different people.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Cheapie old road tyres i use around town- Roadstone. Currently saving up for yokohamas because their tyres are better than toyos (dont agrue cause i has proof!) haha! Swaybars and bushes are in the future at the moment.
    I wont bothered to buy headers cause I am saving up for a vtec engine, meaning I rather spend money doing up all the suspenison and breaks first before power, or if i have piss weak breaks and get more power, shit will happen. and more power, less suspenison means i will be going around corners like kids race on need for speed, hit the wall and keep using the wall to turn.

But i might as well get a stocking over it and check it after every run incase. I cant remove the rear seats due to class regulations. But cheers for this guys haha. I am hoping a vtec next year or two. Trying to save up for a k20. I might as well do it proper since i am gonna save up money for a little while haha

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR-80Y View Post
    I have a brand new ek beaks bar if your interested

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.113785,150.802257
    Alright, cheers, i just get in my car and drive 2000kms now and i see you tomorrow morning just to see it.
    You didint look where my location is didint you? haha

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjoeldavis View Post
    Swaybars and bushes are in the future at the moment.
    What Bennjamin has suggested is probably the best thing to do as long as you get new/decent tyres as said above. EK9 RSB was the best mod I ever did to my ek1 for sure. And tyres are just a given, but there is no point upgrading suspension when your running on old rubber that can't handle it