Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjoeldavis View Post
    My proof which may not be big but i have seen it. At Mallala Raceway (near Adelaide) my dads mate races historics in his XU1 Torana gtr (full on group N i believe) and he always uses Toyos, then one day he was short on money and decided to buy second hand Yokohama tyres that were used from the Clipsal 500, and in that day, he made a whole second from them in his first round, second round he made another .3 so basically he made 1.3 seconds with Yokohamas instead if Toyos. Nothing was improved, all he did was the tyres and thats it. It maybe a softer compound than the Toyos but Yokohamas can last as much as toyos or longer, no less unless drifting and burnouts.
    I can't take this seriously. How is this proof? Tyres wear, age, harden, which is obviously going to contribute to the lack of grip. If you went out on the same day in the exact same car under the same track temperatures with 2 brand new sets of tyres, then that would be comparable. A mate of mine went from Toyo's to AO48's (which is what they use in historics btw) and consistently slowed by 2-3 seconds at Mallala. Im not saying that one of these tyres is better than the other but there's a lot of aspects that need to be considered when comparing tyres. Just cos you seen someone do faster times on one set than the other does not necessarily make those tyres better.
    Last edited by Tegzieboi_BAR; 10-12-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: can't spell
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Quote Originally Posted by connorling View Post
    how many sec do you lose on the track switching from R1R to R888?
    My 15's are Medium compound. I believe 17's (and maybe 18's?) only came in Hard. My setup was constantly changing so hard to compare but I'd say around Mallala the R888's are worth 2-3 seconds over the R1R's.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    thats a good gain hey. consider the cost of R888 isnt that much more than R1R, well at least in perth, because have to order R888 online.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegzieboi_BAR View Post
    My 15's are Medium compound. I believe 17's (and maybe 18's?) only came in Hard. My setup was constantly changing so hard to compare but I'd say around Mallala the R888's are worth 2-3 seconds over the R1R's.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Yea definitely.. They are about $30 more expensive but definitely a lot grippier. Not a street tyre tho, very loud n useless in the wet.
    Getting there...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Tyres. Honestly somebody may go faster on tyres with less grip simply because they prefer the feel or the way they handle.

So many factors. I have R1R and they're great but the treadwear rating is just 140. If you have the money go for it but for a daily driver I think T1R's are a better option if you can still find them, or even the Yokohama S Drive. KU31 for tighter budgets.

Grippest set of street tyres I have ever felt was the Hankook Ventus RS2. Maybe try the RS3.