weird air vent smell

Hi guys I drive a 1996 accord vti-s and recently I noticed that whenever I turn on the air con or heater or just leave my vents open in general, there's this bad smell coming through as if the air isn't clean or something. I was wondering what could be causing this? I recently took my dashboard apart and replaced my gauge cluster lights but I dunno if that has anything to do with it as I didn't touch anything to do with the climate control or vents..

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    old accord did not come with air filter to clean the air, also the car is 16 years old, so it not gonna smell same as brand new car. Blower is dirty and full of dirt and dust. take the dashboard out and clean the blower.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    You can be an antibacterial spray designed for A/C systems.

Its an aerosol can, about 250grams or so.

What you do is get the car running, turn your a/c on to recirculate and then set this on the passenger side floor pointing up under the dash (thats where the intake for recirculate is) and then click it down and it sprays out, shut the door and leave it to work its magic.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Id start by dropping the fan motor and removing all the crap collected there. I no on my CRV and Teg its were the front passenger foot well is. 3 bolts holding it up. Both my cars when i removed them and cleaned them were full of leaves,feathers and other crap! Also it stops the rattling noise when you turn the fan on!

Also noticed these cars dont have fillers from the out side air. So there pron to getting crap in the system. I just leave mine on inside air. Either windows down or aircon on. Never put it on out side air!
    Last edited by JDM DC2R; 19-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Great! Thanks for the tips, yea I watched a few videos of people using the antibacterial sprays I guess its worth a try. And in future I'll make sure I don't let outside air in as I now know my car doesn't have a cabin filter -.-