Insurance Write off Question

Hi Guys,

Have a bit of a lengthy back story to my final question. Your assistance would be much appreciated...

I've had a few accidents to my car (some by me, mum or mates).

1st Accident - Fell asleep at the wheel, crashed the rear right hand side of car into a lamp post.

Damage to axle, tail light, bumper, muffler and little undercarriage, boot,
    chassis bent slightly in the middle between 2 doors.

The car was repaired and handed back to me. Apparently the chassis can be straightened and this was still visible... The main concern was there was a very obvious wobble to the wheel and repairers insisted it was fine and in working condition. I took it back insisting it was unsafe to drive they didnt test it and handed it back saying I was imagining it.

Took it to another mechanic, axle wasn't repaired properly and the wheel was wobbling, they said I could have had a very serious accident as it was ready to pop off.
    Insurance covered this with the repairer I took it to and apologised, however I realised the boot was leaking. Insurer guarantees a life time repair, and haven't fixed it as of yet.

2nd/3rd Claim very Minor - During a storm at work, a shade sail shackle snapped, and the shackle hit the bonnet/roof/boot of my car scratching it up.
    Being distracted by how shit my luck was I reversed into a pole (****s sakes). Very minor damage, only broke the tail light and a slight bump on the bumper.
    Insurance covered this, but didn't get rid of half the scratches on the roof saying they weren't from the shackle coz these ones were "deeper."
    The light was replaced but was noteably higher than the other and alot of the repair wasn't flush ( i understand you can never get it back to 100% but these were SO OBVIOUS).
    The bonnet was completely resprayed and in perfect condition, anyway the car was sent to the original 1st repairer to fix the boot leak.
    Car returned with new scratches on the boot, and the bonnet. These were polished/buffed out but still are visible. Boot still leaks!

4th Accident - Was out on the weekend, my best mate was driving my car and there were 2 cinder blocks of cement literally thrown into the middle of the road while we were driving. (I seriously have had the worst luck, but I guess being a younger driver, you are in more vulnerable situations clubbing at night).. anyway....
    My friend couldn't see this in time, and drove the car over them. 1 of them lodged under the engine and immediately smoke shot out of the engine, and transmission and radiator fluid came gushing out of the car. The car could barely turn, reversed with trouble and managed to get the block out from under the car. I took lots of photos.
    Insurer has said they would cover this but for a pretty big cost (understandable), however the assessor said there was light damage to the car and it only required the following: An exhaust dump, cross member, engine mount, radiator and a new front bumper. They never requested photos and I feel like they are downplaying the damage, especially when they don't want the photos that I insist on passing to them.

My question is this, is the car something I can ask for a write off?

This would be due to the amount of serious accidents the car has been in, the integrity of the car has been reduced so significantly, not only that the less than satisfactory repairs only highlight this.

The car has been smashed and fixed and a car never returns to 100%. Is my request for the car to seriously be considered a write off a far cry or something I have legitimate basis for? Especially with the poor standard of repairs and amount of accidents I feel the car is no longer road worthy.

Thanks again and sorry for the HUGE post.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Call Fair trading about the first shonky repairer.

You could ask them to write your car off. Dont think they will. Looks like your going to run it until it breaks and is uneconomical to fix.
    Choke dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I had simular problem with just car. They forced me to go to there smash repairer. And i took it back a total of 9 times. untill i was happy with it.

The only reason it got tottaly fixed, is that i sent in a formal complaint, as the accessor and smash repairer took side against me. After i spoke to management i was quickly apologies to by the accessor..

Best bet. When it goes to the smash repaier, Tell them you want it fixed right. And the work will be check when completed. There less likly to do shit work, when they no youll be getting it checked. Then get a mechanic to right up a report of what wasnt fixed probally and take it to the complaint section of the insurer

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Read the whole post but missed the part where you said what car you have?

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Don't worry about fair trading

I had to contact them for something

Pretty much if the first repairer isn't willing to do much, then nothing happens unless you go to court

Maybe I just got a prick of a repairer

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    talk about some bad luck!

All the best
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Get it inspected by someone who can tell you if it can be brought back to roadworthy or should be a right off.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Screw the repairer. its the insurances that you deal with!!!!!!!!!

If someone can say it is this car will be unroadworthy, you may get it written off.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    get your own assessor off the net and get your car assessed
    go to a reputable panel beater or restoration shop and get a couple quotes for the damage, make sure to tell them you want all new parts and no orange peel in the paint (even they get slopy)
    then ring up the insurer and send them those quotes and your assessor's report, they will more than likely shit themself and do the job properly..... and pop in to the panel beater every day and make sure everything is being done right
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.