Exclamation Need B18B2 Rebuild Information

Hi Im looking to rebuild my Honda Integra 1997 GSI (B18B2) as is burning oil. Valve Guide Seals have been replaced which has helped the problem, but is still has worn piston rings which need replacing.

I did a compression test and it was 180psi across the cylinders except one which was 150psi. What compression should the engine be running?

Is there any difference in the rebuild kits for B18B1 and B18B2? and also is there differences across Acura/Honda Engines as i was looking to purchase a complete rebuild kit from the US which is for an Accura B18A1/B18B1. Will this kit suit my car or not? If not is there any locations in sydney,NSW which someone could recommend me purchasing the kit from?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a.pezzuto View Post
    Hi Im looking to rebuild my Honda Integra 1997 GSI (B18B2) as is burning oil. Valve Guide Seals have been replaced which has helped the problem, but is still has worn piston rings which need replacing.

I did a compression test and it was 180psi across the cylinders except one which was 150psi. What compression should the engine be running?
    180 PSISounds about right. What you are looking for is that All cylinders should be compressing around the same figure, with no more than 10-15% compression difference in a cylinder. A leak down test will show you what is responsible for that one cylinder compressing at 150psi.

is there differences across Acura/Honda Engines as i was looking to purchase a complete rebuild kit from the US which is for an Accura B18A1/B18B1. Will this kit suit my car or not? If not is there any locations in sydney,NSW which someone could recommend me purchasing the kit from?

Thanks
    Not really. Engines are the same as far as i know. They have a different tune in the computer because of the lower octane rating in the US. But engine rebuild parts (gaskets, bearings) internally should all be the same. The only real difference is they are left hand drive, but this only matters if you are rebuilding steering rack etc.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 17-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    EG

okay, thanks for the help, appreciate it.
    so just to confirm theres no difference in gaskets, bearings,rings etc. between the B18B1 and B18B2 engines?

okay, thanks for the help, appreciate it.
    so just to confirm theres no difference in gaskets, bearings,rings etc. between the B18B1 and B18B2 engines?
    Pretty sure, but not 100%..
    EG

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Gaskets are 100% the same.

Compression I would expect around the 200 mark in a new motor. 180 for an engine this old is still good, but the issue is that 150 cylinder. Not a terrible compression leak but certainly not great either. However that doesn't mean they won't burn oil as the cylinder can still hold compression but burn oil if the compression rings are good and the oil rings are stuffed.