Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 Civic Si

DOHC D16A8 or ZC turbo bits..

Hello ozhonda, i currently want to boost my civic dohc d16a8 engine, but i been having trouble finding the manifold for it.. i have looked on ebay but most ebay kits are flimsy and they are suited for either d-series sohc or b-series.. i know my engine is very aftermarket parts limited.. but if anyone could help me, with any info thatd be awesome thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    any manifold from the d series fits you just have to port it a bit if you want the holes to line up 100percent but can still run it without doing that

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    as above, i have personally had experience wit this....

u just need a lil bit of a die grinding job n it will be spot on...

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Most of the eBay cast manifolds are very tough, you shouldn't need to worry about breaking them lol.
    But the tubular ones are another story.. If you want tubular, buy legit.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I can supply you with a range of products that will meet your needs from Bisimoto Engineering. Pm me for further information
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Some Ebay stuff is okay for results. But at the end of the day you get what you pay for. What are your goals from a turbocharged D-Series Engine? What will you be using the car for? Daily, Drag or Circuit? Also, what sort of aftermarket parts are you after in particular, I can give you recommendations and some advice if you need it

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    I bought my 'Turbo-Kit' from Treadstone Performance.
    High quality parts, but they're a pain in the ass to deal with (It's like they're lazy, or just morons)

Overall, very happy i went with that kit.. For the price, it was much better value than piecing it together myself.
    You're looking somewhere in excess of $3k by the time it's shipped to Australia though.
    Maybe worth a look into?

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 Civic Si
    hey guys thanks for all the awesome feedback, my goals are i want to run my car on like a low 6 psi using a gt28 bb turbo.. i want to use 330 injectors from prelude vti-r, thinking about using e-manage for piggy back ecu and running 2 1/4 exhaust.. the engines got 225,xxx kms on it atm i had the car since it was sitting on 153,xxx. i service it every 5000kms with top of the range stuff hasnt given me any head aches other then the igniter shitting on me a while ago. got the tbelt and clutch done last year sometime. its got a oem exedy clutch im hoping that wont die on me once i turbo it lol

Do you have any power goals? GT28 BB Turbo should do the trick. Something small to reduce the lag and compensate for the lack of torque. What fuel will you be using? If you're thinking E85 then the 330cc Injectors will not be enough, you will need at least 750cc in my opinion. As for an ECU, my recommendation is to seek out a Hondata. As for an exhaust, you may want to consider something a little bigger as you will have more exhaust gas coming out. Try a 2.5" at the very minimum. Below is a small list of things you may want to consider.

- Injectors (Depending on Fuel. If you're going E85 then definitely something bigger than 330cc)
    - Fuel Pump
    - Intake Manifolds
    - Throttle Body
    - Cold Air Intake System
    - Hondata ECU (These guys are the innovators, plus there are a few tuners out there that are good with these)
    - Tune (Don't go to any tuner - Choose carefully and take your time) We can recommend one to you. Hit me up with a pm if you're interested.
    - Clutch - OEM Replacement is going to need replacing. Just run it till it dies though.

There are a tonne of other things but these are just a few of the basics that you would consider without cracking open the engine.

Hope this helps you mate. Good luck with the build!

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by LSPMotorsports View Post
    Do you have any power goals? GT28 BB Turbo should do the trick. Something small to reduce the lag and compensate for the lack of torque. What fuel will you be using? If you're thinking E85 then the 330cc Injectors will not be enough, you will need at least 750cc in my opinion. As for an ECU, my recommendation is to seek out a Hondata. As for an exhaust, you may want to consider something a little bigger as you will have more exhaust gas coming out. Try a 2.5" at the very minimum. Below is a small list of things you may want to consider.

- Injectors (Depending on Fuel. If you're going E85 then definitely something bigger than 330cc)
    - Fuel Pump
    - Intake Manifolds
    - Throttle Body
    - Cold Air Intake System
    - Hondata ECU (These guys are the innovators, plus there are a few tuners out there that are good with these)
    - Tune (Don't go to any tuner - Choose carefully and take your time) We can recommend one to you. Hit me up with a pm if you're interested.
    - Clutch - OEM Replacement is going to need replacing. Just run it till it dies though.

There are a tonne of other things but these are just a few of the basics that you would consider without cracking open the engine.

Hope this helps you mate. Good luck with the build!
    With that Turbo on 6PSI, i cannot see him making more than 200WHP.
    E85 is a crazy suggestion, and there is no way he should even consider it.

750CC Injectors should support 500+ WHP, a complete overkill.. Perhaps run 450CC's just to be safe though.

ECU, i'd recommend AEM V2 EMS just for the ease of install, and it's extremely easy to learn and program.
    Plus it gives you access to cool Ignition, Boost Control, and Wideband Sensor mods down the track.

I wouldn't bother with the Intake Manifold or the Throttlebody, they're side-grades.. And for your expected power levels you'll see little to go gain for the $'s spent.
    Better off using this money to put towards a good BoV, Wastegate and downpipe.. As these are 3 critical items you do not want letting you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    With that Turbo on 6PSI, i cannot see him making more than 200WHP.
    E85 is a crazy suggestion, and there is no way he should even consider it.

750CC Injectors should support 500+ WHP, a complete overkill.. Perhaps run 450CC's just to be safe though.

ECU, i'd recommend AEM V2 EMS just for the ease of install, and it's extremely easy to learn and program.
    Plus it gives you access to cool Ignition, Boost Control, and Wideband Sensor mods down the track.

I wouldn't bother with the Intake Manifold or the Throttlebody, they're side-grades.. And for your expected power levels you'll see little to go gain for the $'s spent.
    Better off using this money to put towards a good BoV, Wastegate and downpipe.. As these are 3 critical items you do not want letting you down.
    I Agree that he wont make any more than 200WHP.

E85 is a consideration in my opinion. Is there any particular reason why you think it should be avoided at not even considered? There are a lot of people saying good things about it and a lot of people saying bad. At the end of the day you’re going to have your haters and lovers of the product. Do some reading on E85. There is a lot of material out there that can help you make your mind up. I personally know several people running E85 on turbo and non turbo cars and they see the gains and benefits of the product. The only cons I can think of with E85 is that if you can't let it sit there as it will form a substance at the bottom of your tank which you will then need to clean, your car will need to be driven every couple of days. The other thing is that it's not readily available everywhere just yet.

As for the 750cc Injectors. I only suggest this for E85. If you go for a 450cc injector and run E85 you’re just going to max them out. Injector Duty will be through the roof which is something you do not want. If you’re going to be running 98 Unleaded then indeed, 750cc’s are going to be overkill and you should probably stick with something along the lines of a 450cc which should be more than sufficient to run 98 Unleaded.

I also agree that the Intake Manifold and Throttle body are “Side-Grades”. As for seeing little gains I will have to disagree with you there. The larger intake manifold will act like a plnenum. With more air going through you will allow more air to be stored in the body of the manifold which will allow it to be readily available when required. This is going to do two things, Increase Lag and Increase Power while on boost. Throttle body is just nice to have if you consider an intake manifold.

There are a bunch of ECU’s out there. Just choose one that you will be able to get a lot of support for. The AEM is also a very good unit for tuning but from memory I think it will costs you more. When it comes down to choosing an ECU, my recommendation is to choose a tuner that you trust first. Use the ECU that your tuner is most comfortable tuning.

Always good to have a good down pipe. Most turbo kits you purchase will supply you one to suit and if it doesn’t invest in having a reputable company make you one. As for the wastegate and BOV, these are generally supplied to you in a turbo kit as well and if it isn’t then consider getting some quality bits as this will affect your boost fluctuation.

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by LSPMotorsports View Post
    The only cons I can think of with E85 is that if you can't let it sit there as it will form a substance at the bottom of your tank which you will then need to clean, your car will need to be driven every couple of days. The other thing is that it's not readily available everywhere just yet.
    This is my reasoning, it's just so impractical.. I can understand the gains it allows, but it's just not worth it until your car is 'pushing the limits' (so to speak) that 98 Octane can offer.
    And even then, water/meth Injection will allow you to push harder without needing to upgrade to E85.
    But this isn't the place for this dicussion =P