Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

battery light on, changed alternator, battery light still intermittently on

Accord euro 2006, 90k km.

Last night the battery indicator light came on solid before starting the car. NRMA was called in and diagnosed as bad alternator. They charged 600$ for a new alternator (which they said was new and generic) and installed it. Battery light went away after, however I didn't drive he car.

Took the car out today, all feels normal and no light. But after 45 mins of driving, battery light came on and went away in under 1 second. If it wasn't for the "ding" sound I wouldn't have noticed. The light pretty much flashed on and then went off immediately.

Within the next 1.5 hr of driving the battey light came on and off 6 times in the same way . There was no obvious mechanical difference in the car when it flashed- no loss of power, no jerkiness or weird sound.

I am uncomfortable about the battery light flashing and want to fix he problem. What could be wrong?

I asked the nrma electrician if their alternator was compatible with Honda's. He said yes (despite it being generic he said it should work with honda), and he said it was also new. I thought $600 (amount I paid) was too little for a new alternator (ppl have quoted over 1k on this forum for a new alternator).

Please help on how I can fix this issue. Thanks!
    Last edited by lovenoodles; 16-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    is the problem arising when you are running all you car electrics? Do you have a aftermarket sound system with amps or Hid, fog lights.

The battery light comes on when its below a certain voltage.
    1. Either the alternator is under rated and not keeping up with the cars demand
    2. Same as above but rather then the alternator being under rated. You have increase the current needed above OEM specs and its over loaded the alternator. "HIDS, fogs, amp set up.
    3. Faulty sensor!
    4. Car is idling to low!
    5. Screwed battery! Surly NRMA would have load tested it though!

It is normal. My 03 Euro's alternator was broken 2 month ago. I asked Honda to rebuild my alternator. Now the battery light is like your car, but everything is ok so far. Also, a man in Honda dealer told me that OEM alternator would have this problem as well, but it's ok.

Hi lovenoodles, I have exactly the same situations and problems as you have with your euro that the battery warning light on intermittently after replaced the alternator. Do you still have your Honda Euro with the same problem ? or You have fixed it ?
    Your advice is greatly appreciated, as now I am trying to figure out what is really causing the problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    If you want to check if it's your alternator or battery, grab a multimeter. With the engine off, the battery should be around the 12v mark (usually above, if it's below then your battery is low either due to age, or the alternator isn't charging it). With the engine on, the multimeter should be reading ~14v.

Thanks ChaosMaster, I have done all that. The readings are, 12.6v with the engine is off, 14.3v with the engine is on and 12.9v when the cooling fans for water tank cut in. I think the alarm comes on when the cooling fans , air conditioner compressor and something else??? kick in at the same time.
    I have never heard the alarm when the car is stopped nor the car is running exceeding 60km. It always happen when the car is moving in slow speed.

The mechanic who replaced the alternator, he reckons the battery might have some cells damaged caused by the dead alternator.
    I have asked RAC ( local roadside assistant in Perth ) who replaced the battery six months ago to check out the conditions of the battery, the result is healthy.

The car seems running okay on the road except that this intermittent ping alarms are rather annoying.
    I am hoping that Lovenoodles might have a positive answer to this problem since he experienced this sometime ago.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Your battery seems fine. If cells were dead, the voltage should be lower. I don't know why the alarm would go on though, and it shouldn't have anything to do with the battery as I know it doesn't go off when the battery is disconnected or re-connected. For the flashing lights, the only thing I can think of would be the cabling. Perhaps consider a ground kit, or clean the heads on the battery and the connectors. Sometimes dirt or rust/sulfur can build up there and create a unstable connection.

"IF" the were any bad cells.

The voltage would droop when there is a load on the battery.

I would get it checked out by an auto electrician.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    I actually had the alternator go in my '06 lux, I drove around for a fews and jumper started it a few times to get it going. After the alternator was replaced, I started to notice this dinging happening randomly. I have one of those batteries with the indicator light (Red = bad, black = needs charge, green = good). I noticed that the battery is always black (I've put on another 7000km's on it since that, and drove to NSW --> QLD --> NSW, still black).

I checked with my DIMM and the voltage is good and alternator was charging but I haven't done a proper load test on it.

I figured it is the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cla View Post
    I checked with my DIMM and the voltage is good and alternator was charging but I haven't done a proper load test on it.
    Most simple way to test for a load is hook a multimeter up to the battery after it has been sitting for a while and make sure you can see it when trying to crank the car.
    Look at how low the voltage goes.
    It shouldn't go below 8.5v if it is a good battery.

Member Array
    Car:
    jazz
    probably voltage regulator doesnt respond fast enough to change of load, mayb battery light comes on below 13v and goes off above 13v?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    So has anyone solved this issue yet? Curious to know.