Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EG

Smile Best platform for reliable boost? B16 or B18

This question has probably been a answered but while I tried the search bar, I didn't quite find what I was after.

I'm planning to build a reliable, but quick daily.
    I'm confused as to what to choose, b18 or b16.

Some people say b16 because of how cheap they are, but I find a b18 would be easier and cheaper to buy?

I've also heard that the b16 is better for boost, however I have yet to find actual proof backing up this statement.

What kind of numbers would I be looking at? I was hoping to at least give a ss a run for its money once in a blue moon.

I don't plan to do a hybrid, I just want a quick daily street weapon that's very reliable

Thanks
    Last edited by 666-EG; 25-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Hi Mate,
    Can you confirm what you mean by the term of "built". Are you going sleeves, rods, pistons, head work etc etc or are you just referring to a basic turbo kit and possibly some small mods here and there?

If you're going to go all our and build the motor etc and put sleeves, I would definitely go with the B18 as it will produce more torque down low.

However, if you're going to keep the car stock and put a turbo charger on it I would recommend the B16. B16 has a thicker wall therefore allowing you to boost more (it's not a huge amount of boost over the B18). I have seen people purchase ebay turbo kits and make up to 180kw, if you spend that little bit extra on a quality turbo kit you can see figures of up to 250kw from an unopened B16. It just depends how healthy your motor is and who you have to tune. With 180kw+ you will definitely beat the pants of an ss.

Let me know if you need more information.

LSP Motorsports is currently boosting their EK4 and we are trying to achieve high numbers on a safe reliable tune without opening the motor. Will keep you iinformed with our results.

Regards,
    Michael

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EG
    Hi Michael, thanks for the reply.

Ah, I see. Yeah I was considering going B18, however I find that it would be more cost effective to go the B18C2, then going turbo rather then the type r engine, considering that I'd probably save more money going the turbo route.

I am not planning on going all out, like you mentioned, just a few small mods here and there. I actually want to create the "sleeper" look, making the car look stock as I can. I'm assuming I would have to get the intercooler sprayed black, and try and find a way to hide the pipes inside the little beast

Unfortunately I am not in Sydney, however I'd like to call your workshop to get more of an idea.

Thank you.

Hi Mate,

Feel free to contact me on my mobile any time. Will be more than happy to spare a few moments to discuss some options and give you some advice.

Regards,
    Michael

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    I thought bore diameter was the same with B16's and B18's? Just the stroke thats obviously longer in the B18? Wall thickness the same then???

I guess we are talking stock motors?

Regardless of engine types (as the are both very strong engines with boost), the main concerns with reliability is quality of in general of 'complete setup'. This includes good quality turbo setup, good quality install, good quality ecu and tune. If any one of these lack, then reliability will lack.
    Deano.

Account Disabled Array
    No replacement for displacement. Go with the bigger displacement motor ~ 1.8L

Just make sure you do your research and alot of readings before you commit to anything. Have a chat to the guys who have done it before. DL001 is one of those guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    If your doing the motor start with the b18c2.
    You only go with a b16 if you already have one lying around.

If you do it right there should be no difference in reliability.

the b18 will always make more power with the same mods.
    Last edited by Limbo; 02-01-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    b18c2 gives u better mid range and less boost lag because of the cams and the intake manifold.

b16a has a bit more aggressive cams and and intake manifold is not dual running, give u better top ends.

bigger engine with boost is always better than smaller engine with boost in 95% of the time.

go for b18c if i were u.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....