Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Federal 505-RSR Vs Toyo R1R

Has anyone had experience with both these tires?

They are roughly the same price, same treadwear, and both have good reviews, but which is the better one of the two?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I have driven on both. Personally for the little extra i would recommend the R1R. This is how i would break it down:

RS-R: Similar grip to RE001/002 when cold. When hot they grip a little better but do not inspire very much and tend to fade off fairly quickly.

R1R: Amazing grip when cold. Far superior to just about anything in the same price bracket. When hot they are very very good. Excellent grip and allow you to try alot of things BUT will only last for about 5 hot laps at Winton before they need a cool lap (running at 70%) so that you can go at it again. Once they give way, they become abit of a handful but still providing grip levels that the RS-R give when hot.

My set of R1R lasted for 10,000km and 2 full track days at Winton before i sold them and they then lasted approx 3 more track days and another 5,000km (give or take a couple thousand kilometers)
    Last edited by stndrd; 04-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Thanks Standrd,
    I was expecting that the RS-R would offer more grip and heat up faster.
    What about noise levels? The R1R is meant to be loud, whereas from what I read the RS-R is surprisingly quiet.

Were both tires on the same car?

Edit:
    These guys don't rate them too well
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xes-r1r-page-4
    Last edited by spetz; 05-01-2013 at 01:48 AM.

what are you planning to do with them? DD with the occasional spirited driver or predominately a track car?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    When u say similar price bracket..

Are you looking at the Toyo R1R on ebay from st george tyres... just remember those tyres are 2007 stock....

Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    what are you planning to do with them? DD with the occasional spirited driver or predominately a track car?
    Not a daily driver, just something for fun/track

Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    When u say similar price bracket..

Are you looking at the Toyo R1R on ebay from st george tyres... just remember those tyres are 2007 stock....
    No I was going to buy a set of wheels from tirerack and order them with R1R tires at $127 each for 205/50/15. With additional delivery this would equate to 168AUD per tire.
    I can get the 595RS-R locally at $150 a tire + fitting, balancing etc. So the price will be more or less the same.
    I was thinking about going the R1R as I can get the Federals any time, whereas after ordering the wheels from tirerack, buying just tires from them in this small size will be cost prohibitive, give me a "now or never" approach to the R1R.
    In the end though I just want the tire that grips the best and doesn't become hard with time. Don't care how many km it lasts, so long as it's not less than 5,000km

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    From what you are wanting from the tyre, I would go with the R1R.

Also Motor Magazine voted them best bang for buck a year or two ago
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    accord
    R1R..if similar price for a chinese tyre vs jap, no brainer imo.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    I have Toyo R1R's atm.

The grip is very good when cold. Even better warm.

Tyres I've had are Toyo Proxes 4 and Kumho KU31's and by comparison the R1R is on another level. When I had them on my DC5R with a K24 it would torque steer like a mofo when I launch. They are GOOD man. I bought them off Taleb Tyres for cheap as old stock. People tend to steer clear of old tyres but to be honest if something has been kept in a warehouse in storage I doubt it would degrade much .... if it was outside in a backyard for a couple years yea different story. I had them for about 20,000km's now? One track day and still plenty of meat. I reckon I could squeeze out 2 more days and another 20000km before they need replacing. They gripped pretty well in the wet aswell, until my first track day now they just aquaplane. Which I dont mind they are technically a semi slick after all.

Minimal noise. I dont hear anything odd or annoying when Im driving.

The KU31 isn't a good comparison. The KU36 would be more comparable to the R1R and even still I think the R1R should be considerably better.
    It's good to hear they R1R grip from cold though.
    I wouldn't mind using some R888s but I read that they harden with time and lose their grip, not to mention require some heat to grip well which might prove dangerous on the street

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz View Post
    The KU31 isn't a good comparison. The KU36 would be more comparable to the R1R and even still I think the R1R should be considerably better.
    It's good to hear they R1R grip from cold though.
    I wouldn't mind using some R888s but I read that they harden with time and lose their grip, not to mention require some heat to grip well which might prove dangerous on the street
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post

Tyres I've had are Toyo Proxes 4 and Kumho KU31's and by comparison the R1R is on another level.
    Yes I said the R1R is on another level compared to the Proxes 4 and KU31. I was trying to pass on my experiences and what I've tried.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I've used the R1R's on the track also. I'd use it any day over the Federals.

One thing Im not a fan of is the Federals are made substantially wider than their stated size ;/