Member Array
    Car:
    1987 CRX ED9

DC5 Stock Airbox Mod (Hondata Style) DC5R

So this is my 1st DIY i have done to my car mod wise. Please feel free to let me know anything i missed in this write up. I did search but couldnt find anything like this (I will feel so stupid if someone finds this somwhere on the site, lol).

Pictures are located at the bottom in no particular order. They are just there for a guide to see what the parts look like and where they are located.

*If you choose to undertake this mod Oz Honda and myself take no responsibility for any problems that may or may not occur, during or after you have decided to undertake this particular modification.

(Hope the above statement is enough)

Now for the fun stuff

Tools:
    Ratchet with 10mm and 8mm. (long sockets will be needed)
    Straight and angle cut tin snips (i used this but i have read people using haxsaw blades)
    File (to be used at the end to file any little burs that are left after)
    Side Cutters
    Pliers (needle or bullnose, it doesn't matter)

Step 1:
    Using the 8mm ratchet and loosen the 6 botls that surround the top of the Airbox. (these screws do not come out they just need to be loosened enought to pull the top off).

Step 2:
    Take the pliers and loosen and slide down the clip (left side of airbox) and remove the hose. Only one end needs to be taken off.

Step 3:
    Next take the 10mm ratchet and loosen the clamp that is attached to pipe that runs to the inlet manifold enough to slide the top of the airbox off.

Step 4:
    Removed top of airbox of and place to the side.

Step 5:
    Using the 10mm racthet there are 3 bolts and 1 nut that can be removed all the way allowing the bottom part of the airbox to be removed. 1 bolt is the stock air intake (located near the left side of the battery) Other 2 bolts and 1 nut are easy to see.

Step 6:
    (see below pictues for a guide)
    Using the side cutters remove the 4 ribs that are located in the filter side of the box cutting down as far as you can and making sure to take your time. try to cut as close to the edge as possible.

Step 7:
    (The plastic gets alot thicker towards the bottom of the box and becomes quite difficult to cut. im guessing the haxsaw was used for this. i just used my tin snips for this).

As you can see from the pictures at the bottom, just start cutting away until you get the same results as below. I just cut off little sections at a time, making sure i took my sweet ass time so i didnt over cut somewhere. I probably could have gone a little closer in some places but i feel i got close enough and the little bit left over probably wouldnt make any difference. As for the weird plastic bits in 1 picture with the black screw tops. Just snap it off.

Step 8:
    Make sure that you file any loose bits that you couldnt get with the pliers or side cutters just incase something breaks off later.

Step 9:
    Make sure you clean thoroughly the inside of the box you cut. I used a vacumm, damp towel and a dry towel to clean the inside of mine just to be overly sure.

Step 10:
    (As you can see from the pictures with the filter in it there is a heap for room for air in the box now).

To put everything back together just use the steps in reverse when putting the airbox back inside the engine bay.

I hope this write up helps everyone out who is thinking of doing this mod to thier car.

Click below link for more detailed pictures on the process:

http://s1120.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Modification

Thank you,

Aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3879.jpg 
Views:	18579 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	23653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	23649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3871.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	23650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3872.jpg 
Views:	1384 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	23651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3877.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	23652  

Last edited by White Noise; 06-01-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Added link to photobucket for all the pictures

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Nice write up man. Did you notice much of a difference in either performance/response or sound?

Member Array
    Car:
    1987 CRX ED9
    Thanks

It feels like it rides smoother but thats just me. Maybe a little bit of performance but not a ton. Sounds the same i thought.

I basically copied it form the hondata site but i wrote up how to do it in detail where they just had a little about it.

They said it improves it more mid range (i agree) and its saves you a heap on $$$ saving you going out and buying a name brand intake. They say it will definitley add hp as opposed to a stock one they say around 2-3 HP 4-5 HP on a boosted RSX Type S they say. Only takes about an hour to do. I think its worth it. As you can see it frees up alot more space inside the box utilizing more of the filter.

I owuld definitley recommend it

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Nice man

perhaps use a Dremel to clean up those cut,like try to make it flush with the box for better airflow

Member Array
    Car:
    1987 CRX ED9
    Thanks

If i had one i would but its definitley a better opiton then filing, lol.