Member Array
    Car:
    89 LS Teg aka ugly teg

Buying a 3rd Gen, doesn't appear to have a b20a6

I'm looking at grabbing a cheap 3rd gen for a mate to learn to drive in. I've had one before and it had b20a6 which as far as I was aware all aussie 3rd gens had. This one has an old looking rocker cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	23715

Going by the rego papers the engine No. is B20A5576081

So by that I'm assuming its a B20a5, but from a quick google that's a US engine and the pictures don't match.

It has stupidly low K's and the vin number on the rego paper is weird as well. I'm thinking it could be a jap import but I've really got no idea. I'm going to look at it tomorrow but there seems to be too many weird things about it.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    weird one there

appears to be the b20a3/4 sohc carb engine

most likely the car is import

Member Array
    Car:
    89 LS Teg aka ugly teg
    Looks like your half right, there was an SOHC carb b20a5 sold in japan which is this one looks to be. http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/...nginecodes.htm

Now the next question is should I spend $1500 on a random import with a carbed engine never soon here that I'm never going to be able to get parts for.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    No.

5char

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO View Post
    No.
    I agry, no

its pretty much worthless

just get an audm dohc one..

Member Array
    Car:
    89 LS Teg aka ugly teg
    Yeh the more I think about it the more I agree with you guys, I can't believe honda even bothered putting a SOHC carby engine in a 1989 model prelude and why on earth did someone bother to import it.

Thanks for the help guys, without being steered towards b20a3's I never would have figured out what the **** this thing was.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Well I know I'm in 2 weeks late but there's nothing wrong with the B20A3 engine... if it's treated right and you can still get parts for them.

This is likely a JDM model which means you probably missed out on rare shit like:
    - folding power mirrors
    - window rain guards
    - fog lights
    - half mast electric antenna
    - floor mats
    - climate control

These Jap imports are often brought over as the top of the line model grey import from Japan which explains the low kms, good condition and uniquely japanese engine.

Anyway, hope that at least sheds some light on JDM preludes (I have 3 of them).

Z
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details