Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    03 Accord Euro

[CL9] Serpentine Tensioner Replacement

Hi guys,

Had a search through the forum and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I need to replace the serpentine tensioner on my 03 accord euro as it has quite a bit of vibration/rattle at idle when in gear or with the AC on.

Has anyone replaced this themselves? I have ordered the Gates kit for it and had a quick squiz at what might be involved.

It looks like if I remove the power steering pump pulley I can probably get enough room to remove the old tensioner and install the new one. Is it just a matter of locking the pulley and undoing the bolt for power steering pulley?

Alternatively, do I need to remove the whole power steering pump?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mattis; 21-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 Accord Euro
    Had a bit of a google around about this and found some instructions on the replacement on another forum for a k20 but it looks very similar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg43tawuek...otensioner.jpg

You do need to remove the whole power steering pump, not just the pulley as part of the tensioner housing bolts in behind the pump. However you don't need to disconnect the hoses apparently (which was my biggest concern - hopefully there is enough slack/give on the hoses to move the pump out of the way to get the whole tensioner assembly out.

I'm changing the tensioner on the weekend so will report back after that.

Repco couldnt find a direct listing for the part for an accord euro however I quoted the Gates part number from the other thread on the forum and they ordered it in for me, cost was $170:

Last edited by Mattis; 17-01-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 Accord Euro
    Replaced the tensioner yesterday morning.

Very straight forward as per the diagram included in previous post. Only other part that was missed was that you need to remove the power steering hose support bracket that attaches to the cam cover and then cable tie the power steering pump assembly out of the way to give proper access to the area.

Took all of an hour to complete as I managed to not have to take the serpentine belt off all of the bottom pulleys.

No more rattling at idle with the car in gear or A/C on.

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    so what you replaced does it have to do with this ?!?!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...kmh-and-100kmh

Member Array
    Car:
    03 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_gee View Post
    so what you replaced does it have to do with this ?!?!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...kmh-and-100kmh
    Not that I'm aware of.

There wasn't any vibration at speed, there was just a rattling noise (quite noticeable) coming from the tensioner when the car was at idle and in gear (i.e. stopped at the lights) or when the AC was on at idle. Car drove fine otherwise.

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought this might be useful to anyone who is searching and finds this:

When I replaced my own tensioner I was fortunate enough to come across the same Gates one on Amazon for about $45 (plus around $15-$20 in shipping to Aus). Also ordered the belt for around $20 too, coming to a grand total of about $85 all up!

Tensioner: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Belt: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    thanks for the part number and links. I have just purchased these. It came to around $100 delivered with our weaker AUD vs USD now.

Still alot cheaper then buying here.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 Accord Euro
    Quick update here;

The tensioner seems to have gone again, it's rattling when in gear, stopped with your foot on the brake and when the AC is on. I'm guessing the spring

It doesn't show as being out of the wear limit of the spring (via the indicator arrow), but the rattling/vibration it puts through the car is very annoying.

The replacement tensioner has probably only done 10,000 kms

Priced a genuine - $330 apparently.

Might try getting another one from the US this time as others have mentioned in the thread.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Don't Toda make a tensioner replacement?

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury
    Did replacing it with a genuine one help ?

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Don't Toda make a tensioner replacement?
    Timing chain tensioner and accessories belt tensioner are two seperate things mate
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Silly lad
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut