Thread: Tow bar advice

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget

Tow bar advice

Hey guys,

Looking to install a tow bar on the FD. I've looked at both aftermarket and OEM installs. Currently dabbling in the second hand market for a few weeks before I shell out for a brand new one.

I had a thought - Is there any type of tow bar that is fitted similar to an aftermarket tow hook (such as Benen, etc)? Most kits utilise quite a number of install points and I can understand their purpose if you are towing a trailer or caravan etc, however I am only looking for a means of carrying my bicycles around. We're talking 50 kg max including mounting hardware.

If anyone could shed some light that would be awesome. Again, I understand this type of install would not be as sturdy, and I don't even know if it exists (I've been scouring the internet + ebay with no success), but again, we're looking at max 50 kg. The mount I am looking at requires a tow ball for fixing (50mm diameter) however if any options similar to what I have mentioned I am all ears!

Any other advice would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I wouldn't recommend a tow hook, even if its just 50kgs, its better to spend out and have peace of mind than cheap out and have to sort of worry that something could go wrong.

OEM would be your best choice, I've seen some where the whole tow ball and protruding part detaches and then I've seen the regular standard ones. If you do choose to go OEM, call a few dealerships and get a few quotes and bargain down each one to get the best price.

may also be worthwhile to scavage local wreckers, you might find a few which have the tow bar assembly but got written off due to a front on collision.

one of the few things that isn't important whether it's brand new or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    may also be worthwhile to scavage local wreckers, you might find a few which have the tow bar assembly but got written off due to a front on collision.

one of the few things that isn't important whether it's brand new or not.
    I will be calling around to see if anyone has anything. I checked with Pick n Pay Less but they don't have any FD's in at the moment. I'll keep trying!

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Still looking, but thought I would bump this to see if anyone else has/knows of any other solutions similar to what I have described in my original post? Will update everyone on how I go with the find though.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Could also look into roof racks.