Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID lights

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda civic ek1

HID lights

just curious, who has 35 watt HIDs and how many times have u been flashed and pulled over by the police ? Are they that much better than halogens ?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    I've had 35w 6000k HIDs in my DC2 for about 5 months now. I haven't been flashed or hassled by the cops at all. I had my projectors professionally adjusted by a mate when I got them.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Are you planning to use HID in your standard EK headlight?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    HIDs on projectors is a go go but HIDs on non projector headlights is a no no, it scatters like hell thats why you blind other people. I didn't want to get flashed thats why i modified my stock ek headlights and retrofitted them with H1 projectors, and to ensure i dont blind oncoming traffic, the projectors sets the beam on the drivers side abit lower then the passanger side.
    Last edited by mattsrea; 30-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda civic ek1
    thanks for all the info. Yes I am planning to use them on my stock lights .Is there anyway to install hids without retrofitting, can i somehow adjust the light to aim lower without the projectors ? I really wouldnt want to get hids and look like a dickhead, but i drive alot at midnight after 12 and I dont know if oncoming cars are putting hi beam on,whether my car is too low or the fact that most of the other vehicles at midnight are trucks, trailers, 4wds that are high off and aim their light right into my face, w/e... they keep blinding me so I might as well blind others rather than have others blind me(sorry to sound selfish but i cant think of any other way to stop being blinded).On that note, given that my car is pretty low( not lowered but relatively lower to alot of cars) how would I be able to blind all the cars that are way off the ground ? I was thinking that 35 watts would be bright enough but not blind others cos its less powerful than the 55 watts. I have seem some 100watt ice blue(not really blue, just less yellow...) halogen light bulbs at super cheap, would the extra watts make my car slower ( sorry to sound noob)?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    No matter how low you try to aim the HIDs you will still blind some people because when the HIDs relfect of the stock ek lense, it creates a bad scatter (this is what blinds people). I tried pointing the beam down on my cousins em1 and it still blinds a few people. If you don't want to blind people and decide to point the beams too low your not giving yourself enough light to see and if you set the beam normally you will blind alot of people. You gotta juggle it abit. If you like the HID colour get the phillips 5000 or 6000K globes, there not ADR approved (so its not yellow) but they give off a colour which is really close to 6000k HIDs.
    PM PHO about the phillips globes. His running them on his EK.

And about the 100 watt globes, i don't even know if its suitable for your car mate.

I have them installed in my DC2R.

No problems with police or other people, light direction is perfect!

Over 2 years installed!

If you are aparanoid just angle them down a bit.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 31-01-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I have them on my JDM front teg. There stock hid's. Cops have asked me to pop the bonnet and they didnt no what there looking at.

Tip,
    White light, no blue, purple ting
    Hide the ballist and cables well
    Point them down.
    And if ever asked say you got the Phillip xtream globes in the head light. And you wont remove them as there hot, and you need gloves as the oil on your skin cant touch the glass!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i know plenty of people that have them.

aim them lower than you would with standard halogens and youll be sweet.

its just the cnuts that dont adjust them that are fcked.,
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Dont go more than 6000k imo, its just useless esp in the rain and very blinding

4300K is the optimal kelvin rating for most light and not looking like a douche. A lot of the crappy eBay China brands will start at 6000K but it's worth getting the 4300Ks as they are what OEM cars come with.

Putting them in the EK reflector housings are just horrible. The EKs headlights scatter a lot more than say the semi DC2 projector style ones. I wouldn't recommend putting it in your stock housing as it causes a lot of glare even when pointed down.

At the end what you'll achieve is brighter light that's pointed really far down so you can't see much in front of you. It'll also create a lot of glare for other ppl too. I would recommend for you to get some eBay H1 projector housings, they aren't that great but will be heaps better than your stock ones!

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    100w is Definately a no no. You will melt your headlight housing and also your stock head light wiring and plugs = fire hazard.

Ek headlights are crap with HIDs as others have said already.

Though there is an option.

The centre piece that is in the EK headlights will need to be removed. This will help with lowering the scatter effect. Secondly you will need to aim the headlights lower.

OR you can buy a aftermarket headlights from ebay with the projector already installed. Its costly but worth a shot. Then install a HID on that. Most of the globes sizes are H1 or H7 on these aftermarket lights.

Light temp or kelvin.

I would recommend the Philips HID kit, only because ive had experience with cheap ebay kits where the ballasts failed and or the globe housing melted.

So i opt for the Philips kit. It came with the relay kit for the H4 globes also has CANBUS error free slim ballasts and the globe is quality made and provided a tru 4200k or 6000k kelvin light.

If u need the link from the buyer i got iit from just send me a PM.

Other cheapos or non genuine philips kits are shit quality and often takes time to warm up at operating temperature levels.

Good luck mate.
    Last edited by IV73CI; 31-01-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......